Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: AQ line check

If you cannot bet or check-raise this flop, then you should not play AQo UTG. If you are convinced he has KK/AA then fold, don't call down. If you think you are WA/WB (you aren't) then there is a smidgen of a chance in your mind that he has something other than AA/KK.

I am not sure how you can ever be that convinced without thousands of hands on the guy.

I cannot see how a loose but not overly aggressive player cannot have AK or JJ here which a loose not overly aggressive player will not fold.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you cannot bet or check-raise this flop, then you should not play AQo UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%. Check-calling should not be an option here. Either bet out or C/R.

As others have pointed out this is not a WA/WB situation.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 PM

ben said it first and best:

[ QUOTE ]
Check-raise flop. Call down to a 3-bet unless board gets sloppy or you have a more specific read.

[/ QUOTE ]

donking this flop is really dumb.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure how you can ever be that convinced without thousands of hands on the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying I'm convinced, I'm saying I feel it's more likely he has AA or KK. If I was convinced, I wouldn't need a line check.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:25 PM

im betting out on this flop, if he raises im prepared to call it. he will raise you with many hands from this spot which kind of makes me want to 3 bet it on the flop.

i dont know what you guys think about this but i wouldnt mind 3 betting this flop and seeing how he reacts. a loose not overly agressive player will never be able to get rid of JJ or AKS in this spot. hands that are going to pay us off
Old 06-03-2007, 06:21 PM

Why would you donk the flop? I don't get donk bets; more often than not they're incorrect. If you never donk-bet you're probably not making many mistakes.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:58 PM

I spent many hands playing weak tight convincing myself everything was a WA/WB situation and calling down a LOT.

It's an expensive habit that needs to be broken. You end up seeing more than your fair share of runner runner beats.

Don't be afraid to throw a check-raise in there. If he has AA, then catch a Q on the turn.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:35 PM

This isn't a good example of a WA/WB situation. When the flop gets bet, turn gets checked, and river gets folded by the opponent it is terrible for you. This happens all day with AK and AJ. When villain has TT or JJ, he may call the river, but you're missing 1 1/2 BB by not C/R and betting down.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:06 AM

you'll get bluffed out of the pot by AK a lot here if you just give up after the 3 bet and don't improve.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you donk the flop? I don't get donk bets; more often than not they're incorrect. If you never donk-bet you're probably not making many mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. i would donk here in a heartbeat. i used to never do it, but recently changed my ways.

i've said this before. given the current overuse of the flop c/r and also to solicit action with other hands, i've started donking alot of flops into the last preflop aggressor with a pretty wide range of hands. thing is, it needs to be a part of an overall strategy. just because it would be correct for me to donk it given my style, doesn't make it right for OP.

that said, my standard line these days would be b/c the flop, donkety donk the turn.