Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: 2007-08 North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball (San Antonio Here We C

[ QUOTE ]
sethy and aces both said something about how teams like Memphis and UCLA would exploit them. No [censored] they are two of the best teams in the country they exploit everyone. UNC isn't a great technical defensive team, but they are athletic and have good results. I wouldn't care if there defensive results were a byproduct of them hypnotizing the other team it is still good defense, even if there success is largely due to athleticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that when you just blow a portion of your schedule of the floor with vastly superior talent, this is going to skew your points per possession stat. For a number of reasons (largely related to the greater homogeneity of style and better and more balanced sample size), I think per pos stats are much more useful in analyzing NBA teams than NCAA.

My point in comparing UCLA's defense is that, as anesthetically unpleasing as it is, it does a pretty good job even in athletic mismatch situations (that it accomplishes largely through continuous uncalled fouling is an issue for a different day) - even against Florida with 3 lotto picks, UCLA's defense wasn't the issue so much as the offense, especially Afflalo, repeatedly crapping the bed.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Lawson likely sitting against UK

I'm glad to see Roy thinking long term here. No need to bring Ty back until he can play at 100% without re-injuring the ankle being an issue.

AP article here.