Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 04:25 PM

Default One more for The Fish

I'm a recreational player, I play mostly micro-limit O8 on PS. I get to Vegas occasionally, or a local cardroom and play 3-6, 4-8 w/ 1/2 kill, and I can generally eke out a win.

This is from .05/.10 LO8

KK23 DS (hearts & spades) in the SB, 6 callers, I raise, 6 callers.

Flop is K56 all clubs.

This is about the 4th hand in a row I've flopped trips or a set, I play 'em fast or slow depending on the board. This looks like time to play 'em fast.

I bet, 3 callers, CO raises.

My notes on raiser are "Loves to jam lo, lodraw" I think it's just as likely he's pushing a lo draw as value-raising a flush.

1st question: Did I do right by going for overcalls? Given that everybody else called PF, I think I can count on them putting more into the middle if I just call.

Turn: Tc

I think this makes it less likely that raiser has a flush, and less likely that a low will get there.

2nd question: Bet here, check/call or check/raise?

I think if I bet, callers will call, raiser will raise or fold, if he raises I can call, getting odds to hit FH on river.

3rd question: If raiser raises, should I just call, or RR? If he raises, I can put him on a flush, I'm about 4.5:1 to hit. Marginal odds, maybe slightly -EV. If callers will call one more, but not 2, calling is best. ???

Action: <font color="white"> I bet, callers call, raiser raises, all call </font>

River: 5s

Question 4: Bet here, right?

Going for checkraise is FPS, If raiser was betting lo, he won't bet river, if he was betting flush, I doubt he'd bet river unless he thought I was betting worse flush. If I bet, callers might call, if I check/raise, callers will probably fold as might raiser.

Action: <font color="white"> I bet, all call. </font>

More questions:

PF raise, is KK23 DS good enough to raise to build pot in this case?

Should I call, check/call, check/call in order to try for a 5-way cap on river? (if I get FH, of course) possible 32BB pot that way, vs 25BB pot the way it was played.

Regards

Gar
Old 11-14-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: One more for The Fish

I think the preflop raise is fine given the number of callers, though I don't think I'd raise this if I were only up against four other players.

On the flop I don't think I bet. You have little chance at the low (which is likely to come) and if someone has a flush, which is also somewhat likely, you are counting on a redraw to get you the pot. Your expected equity needs to be over 25% (given three callers) for it to make sense to build this pot, and I'd put it a little lower than that. Still, this isn't terribly -EV, and with one more caller I think it would have been positive.

Betting the turn would be a mistake IMO. I expect one of these callers to have a non-nut flush. Maybe your raiser is just betting his low draw, but surely not everyone is calling down with A2 and nothing more. Against a flush you have ten outs, so you'd want more than three callers to be putting money in the pot. On the plus side all of your outs to the high also make a low impossible, so you're now slightly better off than you were on the flop.

On the river you should bet. Anyone who would do the betting for you (say, someone holding 6-5) will probably raise you anyway. Busted low draws are going to fold no matter what you do.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 PM

I don't like the preflop raise. YOu have a marginal hand, you're playing in a loose game where your raise won't get tons of respect, and most importantly you'll be out of position for the entire hand. I hate buidling huge pots OOP even with premium hands, yet alone an average one like this.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:58 AM

I wouldn't raise pre-flop, take the discount to see if you hit a good flop. This is a hand that needs to see an ace or a king on the flop when over half the table is in the hand.

Don't bet the flop, check and call along trying to make your low or full house. Betting might scare away some of the dead money.

Someone has a flush, dont kid yourself.

And yes you have to bet the river. This is your best chance to get more money in.