Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 10:24 PM

Default Do they do this on purpose?

Sorry if this has been gone over before...

So I'm playing at the Commerce and the waitress brings my meal. I reach for a few chips to tip and.... Whoa!!! I almost just gave her $400!!! I mean she was a good waitress, but...

You see, I'm used to white chips being a dollar. $1. A buck. 100 pennies. At the Commerce they're $100. A C-note. At most places I've played, dollar chips usually have at least a white theme to them. $100 chips, a black theme. $25 chips, a green theme. $10 chips a brown (or yellow) theme. $5 chips a red theme. I suppose I've seen variations of this, but it's basically correct. To the point where I thought this was universal.

This may sound silly, but I really had to watch myself when playing there! I guess I can be pretty careless with white chips, because I'm so used to using them only for tokes. Hopefully, I didn't absent-mindedly throw someone a $100 tip. I did take a white home by accident. Proof that I am programmed to not give whites much attention. I'm trying to think if I got any special attention from dealers or waitresses. -lol. Nah, I don't "think" I did.

My point is, I'm thinking this may have been done intentionally. So that out of towners may accidently over toke. I suppose that's a pretty paranoid statement, but why would they be the only ones with white $100 chips? I haven't played anywhere else in California... Are $100s white everywhere else in CA?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Do they do this on purpose?

San Jose, White == $100 for as long as I can remember.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:58 PM

You tip $4 for a drink?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You tip $4 for a drink?

[/ QUOTE ]

What gave you that idea?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:07 PM

Not just a drink. But also a fantastic huge steak dinner with all the trimmings and it was entirely comped. So yeah, when something's free I generally feel obligated to tip a little more. Anyone else?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me? Yes. Most of the people that will respond to that question on this board? Hell no. The're about to tell you how you are spoiling the help, now the're going to expect that all the time.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You see, I'm used to white chips being a dollar. $1. A buck. 100 pennies. At the Commerce they're $100. A C-note. At most places I've played, dollar chips usually have at least a white theme to them. $100 chips, a black theme. $25 chips, a green theme. $10 chips a brown (or yellow) theme. $5 chips a red theme. I suppose I've seen variations of this, but it's basically correct. To the point where I thought this was universal, because I'd never played a single hand in California before, and I didn't know I could look up standard California chip colors before posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're paranoid. I've heard the real reason for special California colors has something to do with the significance of red and black in Asian culture, but I consider that apocryphal. Regardless, they're quite standard in California. (Here's a 2-year-old design for a Bike $100 chip.) No one's trying to cheat you. (You sound like my dad reading the check at a restaurant, except that he'd never play poker for money.)

I haven't seen a Commerce $100, but the Bike's are oversize so you'd have to be pretty oblivious to just toss one to someone casually.

Oh, and $10 is officially blue in Atlantic City, though I've only seen them at the Borgata.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:27 PM

How do they put it in OOT? Thinly veiled brag post?

Martin
Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen a Commerce $100, but the Bike's are oversize so you'd have to be pretty oblivious to just toss one to someone casually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe both places have both oversized and regular sized. Oversized if you are playign some game where it is significant (like you just colored up) and regular sized for a white chip game.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do they put it in OOT? Thinly veiled brag post?

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

Brag?!! What on earth do you think I'm bragging about? I just admitted to almost paying $400 for a meal, because I was too stupid/careless to keep track of how much the chips were!

You must be pretty low on the ladder of self esteem to find a brag in this post.