Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Taking it to the next level

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So, I was wondering if anyone knew a particular skill that might elevate my game, given that there aren't any glaring holes in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]
As has already been said, you have glaring holes in your game even if YOU can't see them. I could give you two a side and win more often than not and I admittedly have several GLARING holes in my game.

Everybody has glaring holes, even tour players.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, if he can't see them, they aren't "glaring," and they certainly aren't "GLARING."

I've never taken lessons so I don't even know if it's possible, but I liked guids' suggestion of taking a lesson to figure out what you need to work on - a lesson to identify the minor problems that you can't see yourself.

-McGee
Old 07-26-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Guys, if he can't see them, they aren't "glaring," and they certainly aren't "GLARING."

[/ QUOTE ]
Then please explain how the thousands of golfers better than him ALL have glaring holes in their game?

BO
Old 07-26-2007, 02:18 PM

There are diff ways to be better/worse...course management/mental skills...for example.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are diff ways to be better/worse...course management/mental skills...for example.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course there are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your game in the least. You are obviously very very good if you are a scratch. But to adamantly state you have no glaring holes in your game is just a blind judgment when every golfer on the planet has glaring holes.

Regardless, will be interested to hear what transpires in the lesson.

BO
Old 07-26-2007, 02:35 PM

If I was around par that consistently, I'd ask a pro what I could do to give myself shorter birdie puts.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Then please explain how the thousands of golfers better than him ALL have glaring holes in their game?

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

I've participated in the nitting up of this forum with grammar/word choice arguments before, so I'll be careful here.

I don't dispute that he has holes in his game. But you guys are acting like he sprays the ball around all over the place. If he's truly scratch, any flaws are going to be relatively minor, and he's already expressed that he doesn't know where they are. Why not tell him what kinds of things you see that the best players need to work on -- things that aren't always readily apparent -- rather than essentially telling him he's an idiot for not being able to see what's wrong with his game?

-McGee
Old 07-26-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was around par that consistently, I'd ask a pro what I could do to give myself shorter birdie puts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may sound very funny, but since I haven't gotten any help here...I was planning on just working on dialing in my short irons/wedges for exactly that purpose [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2007, 03:08 PM

Since you have not identified anything you need to work on (and I don't see how anyone else can without seeing you play and your self description as "scratch golfer strong in all areas")-- it might help to play more different courses, and limit the rounds a courses you know well. And if you do play your home course, you might play from the reds to get a taste of going extremely low.

In any case, I'm suggesting another direction for the thread: a generic how to identify weaknesses.

A free lesson with someone you have no relationship with sounds a bit like a sales pitch.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:20 PM

It's free because my friend can't make his lesson, so he's offering it to me...since he has to pay for it anyway.

I do play different courses. For ex, I was at a VERY hard Nicklaus course the other week (lots of blinds shots) and had to play shots I nearly NEVER have to at my home course. For ex, other than my driver, I 3/4 pretty much all of my shots. However, I was forced to play a lot of full swings (200 yrd 6iron to very hard/fast greens, instead of a 3/4 5iron)...and I shot +7. However, my mistakes were 99% putting from not being comfortable with stimp 12 greens (the ones I normally play on are prolly 8.5...and the other course I play at is around 10.5). I was hitting lots of fairways/greens and hitting very very good shots, but 3-putted from 20-30 feet 8 times (when I might do that 1 in 20 even on 10.5 greens).

So, I'm quite happy with my ball striking in general...which is kinda frustrating since I'd like to get to a +4-5 or whatever and start getting back into amateur tournies. (Had a great junior career b4 a bad car accident @16).
Old 07-26-2007, 03:25 PM

Where are you playing greens rolling at 12?