Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Regulations are out - TREASURY PRESS RELEASE

It's not like the Family Research Council is writing the regs. It is the Federal Reserve, and the Department of the Treasury. When the "GAMBLING IS BAD, OMG, HELP" crowd at FOF writes about how terrible gambling is, and should be outlawed because it is the work of Satan, what is the DOT, and FR, likely to think? My guess is they would not care much, considering what their job is, and may even become slightly turned off to the regs.

Now, if we come at the FR, and DOT, saying, these regs are terrible, and all regs would be terrible. We need less of them, as they are impossible to enforce, the reg writing powers are likely to be more turned on to our idea, then FOF's. Why?

A: Our comments address the regs (not what the country needs to outlaw), in a logical manner, that the FR and DOT is likely to be sympathethic to.
B. I am sure DOT and FR care more about the well being of the banks, more than whether or not someone gambles for cents in their living room.
C. FR is a big bank, anyway. (Good that they are writing the regs, huh?)

The banks are going to lobby for less regs, IMO, so that is the best move for us. Less regs work better for us, and it is going to boost us tremendously to be in step with the banks.

No matter what the regs say now, or mean later, we need to be on record supporting our beliefs, and we need to do it in a way that addresses the following four things:

A. In step with the banks.
B. Regs are not logically enforceable. Therefore, no matter how many regs there are, they are not going to be enforced. Also, all regs are SO unenforcable, they place too big a burden on the banks.
C. The regs should be less, and less specific, because of the logic I outlined in letter B.
D. Poker, and gambling in general, are not big threats, and should not have tough regs against them.

FOF is going to lobby for more regs. Why? Because more regs is going to place more burden on the poker industry. We do NOT want more regs.

FOF logic of more regs, is going to fail miserably. The DOT, and FR, is going to see that. When you look at their plan of action, they have no logic to more regs, other than "I HATE GAMBLING!!"

There is NO logic to more regs, and we need to make that clear to the DOT and FR, that what we want is less regs.