Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Introducing No Limit

This may sound odd but at our home game we never play no limit. It's always $3 max raise ("spread limit") hold 'em, omaha, omaha hi-low, stud ("follow the queen") - or some variation of guts ("bama guts" "bloody 7s" - don't ask me about "booray").

A while back we switched all chip denominations to 50 cents each to simplify and to help out the one color blind guy. I really do like it, it makes things easy. Cash plays.

We also play unlimited stakes (not table) so when you run out of chips, you reach to your pocket or you can say you're all-in in a poker game if you're really done for the night. In guts you get stuck with debt...

We do call Pot Limit from time to time but it gets nutty. The lack of clarity on how much you can raise ("whatever is in your wallet") just messes it up even further.

I'd like to play PL or NL but can't seem to get agreement on how to do it. We tried "strict table stakes" last week which ended up having about $1k on the table when everyone emptied their wallets under their stacks. Not what I intended. Also the blinds were stuck at .50/$1 due to the high chip denominations. I shouldn't complain as I did fine but really don't want to lose $500 a week on a bad run, my wife will kill me.

I think I know some of the solutions to this but I'd like to hear suggestions anyway, maybe so I can forward the thread on to some of these guys so they'll listen to me. (capped buyins, start using quarter chips). We play fairly unconventionally and are just fine with it so any suggestion is fair game.