Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Starting hands by % vp$ip ?

I am trying to get a better understanding of what hands may be in my opponents range given their % vpip. Does any one have a hand ranking chart in order strength that includes % markers (169 unique hands, but there are more combos of some than others). Also a general range based on rough % of like 30%, 35%, etc as people like to play connectors so it may not quite fit the top % in terms of strength.

I know that it will vary by person/position(sometimes) where some may play any broadway and others will play connectors, but at least it will give me a better starting point which I can adjust based on ingame reads.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Starting hands by % vp$ip ?

I dunno of any such resource, but it'd probably have to be more complicated than you describe, since many people (even complete donks) have different raising standards by position. Sometimes those have no rational basis - a lot of microlimit LAGs think they're being clever by smooth-calling with monsters and raising very marginal hands, when in fact they might as well be lighting their money on fire - but they exist nonetheless. And once you move on to trying the same analysis for players with a clue - who probably try to vary their raises according to their reads of other players in the hand - it'll become even more complex.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:26 PM

Well, I don't know how helpful it'll be, but you can download pokerstove. If you click on the player button underneath hand distribution, then hit the preflop tab you'll see all the possible combinations. There's a slider on the bottom to select a %, or you can just pick a few hands and it'll give you a %age.

Observation of hands played and how they're played is more helpful in the long run.

S
Old 03-30-2006, 01:29 PM

It shouldn't be too hard to generate the chart you're looking for if you've got enough data. I'm not convinced that the results would be worth much but it might be an interesting exercise.

I'd generate the chart for you but my database has less than 3000 hands which isn't nearly enough. Supply the data (PokerTracker or PokerOffice db) and I'll supply the chart.

As a final thought, I think it would be much more valuable to profile individual players in this manner but the data required for it to be accurate is prohibitive.

Edit: Whoops! This was intended as a reply to the original post. Sorry to screw up the threading.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:32 PM

As far as I know there is no such chart. If there was it would be very complex and time consuming to reference. The best you can hope for is good observation and take good notes on each person as they show down hands. It's not an exact science but that's what makes this game so fun
Old 03-30-2006, 02:37 PM

This works with good players, you can tell the difference between pfr numbers among tags, and vpip to an extent. But bad players it doesn't work at all.

One 30 vpip might think J8s UTG is good, whereas another might be getting it by playing KTo. Completely different hands, and you can't really get a read based on it.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:47 PM

You should be able to make your own chart fairly easily, using these figures as a starting point:

The chance of being dealt a given pocket pair: 0.452%
The chance of being dealt a given non-pair hand, suited (in any suit): 0.302%
The chance of being dealt a given non-pair hand, unsuited: 0.905%
Old 03-30-2006, 03:16 PM

Here ya go:

http://pokershark.blogspot.com/2005/...-on-range.html
Old 03-30-2006, 03:29 PM

I am terrible at using the search feature. However, I remember reading a post sometime since I registered that I think had EXACTLY what the OP is asking for. It *MAY* have been based on PFR, and not VPIP though. However, I 100% guarantee either a PFR or VPIP chart for hand range based on % (down to tenths or hundredths of a %) has been posted.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:14 PM

I was gonna make a chart like this, but realized that wouldn't be that useful. If you've got enough hands on someone to where this information would be somewhat reliable you should have a pretty good read on them. Things that account for a lot of variation in what a 30% VPIP
value (or awareness even) of position
likelihood to play any A
value on suitedness
probability to be on tilt
calling because others have
calling when it's not raised.
... to name some of the most likely.

I'd rather see someone showdown 10 hands than know they have a 30% VPIP over 1000 hands.

So this information is likely to be innacurate, and much better information is readily available.