Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Were you going to pay the $10 for live stats on Yahoo?
Yes, what fun is it without live stats? 18 66.67%
No, I'll just check in Monday and see if I won or lost 7 25.93%
I'm not sure. 2 7.41%
Just show me the results / I'm not in the league 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: ~~~ OFFICIAL YANKEES 2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OR BUST THREAD ~~

the only way the Sox can pay that will be if their homegrown talent becomes real MLB level talent. if Ellbury and Bucholz (and Pedroia, and 1 or 2 others) are starters at less than $1m, mb the Sox splurge for Johan. I think going forward that will be a strategy you see from the Sox.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:44 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
the only way the Sox can pay that will be if their homegrown talent becomes real MLB level talent. if Ellbury and Bucholz (and Pedroia, and 1 or 2 others) are starters at less than $1m, mb the Sox splurge for Johan. I think going forward that will be a strategy you see from the Sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good point, but because we are assuming that it will be an 8-year contract, even if the players are cheap for 1-2 years, their salaries will balloon very soon.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tabata should be getting close.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the majors? He's 18 and playing A ball. He's at least two years away.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

definitely not with Torre as the manager.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

definitely not with Torre as the manager.

[/ QUOTE ]

not quite sure what this means?

also how is tabata anywhere near to a major league player? i am a yankee fan and i get sick of people fawning over him, who knows what could happen. yeah hes a great prospect but calm down people, its annoying.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:37 PM

Tabata is not close because he's 18 and because Torre has a well-documented history of playing terrible veterans over good rookies.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:37 PM

By the way, there's nothing wrong with fawning over a kid who hit two home runs out of a major league-sized park.

At age 14.

With wood bats.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dunno, zito went for 126/7, soriano went 136/8, i dont see how 200/8 is all that crazy considering how much better santana is than those two

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this Scott Boras posting? Referencing two horrible contracts to justify another horrible contract? Pitchers get hurt too much to give one an 8 year contract.

Oh, and Clemens set the bar for one year deals, not per year averages for long term deals. Teams need a big discount for long term deals simply to compensate for the vastly greater injury risk.

That's said, Santana is definitely worth 5/$100M, or maybe even a little more. That would be a smart deal, and he might take it since he'd still be close enough to his prime to get another big deal afterwards.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dunno, zito went for 126/7, soriano went 136/8, i dont see how 200/8 is all that crazy considering how much better santana is than those two

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this Scott Boras posting? Referencing two horrible contracts to justify another horrible contract? Pitchers get hurt too much to give one an 8 year contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither you nor I would give a pitcher more than 4 years (and 5 years only in great exceptions - Santana being one of them), but most teams are willing to be idiots. So, an 8 year deal is not necessarily too ridiculous.

However, as Santana, is it better to lockup 7-8 years at a lower AAV or take a 4-5 year deal with higher AAV and hope you stay healthy/dominant to sign another big deal later on? Lots of factors here, like you touched on.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 PM

I am as excited for tabata as the next yankee fan, just when other fans say stupid crap like "he should be getting close!" it annoys me. we get it, for once we have two amazing prospects at once and WE JUST CANT HANDLE IT.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and Clemens set the bar for one year deals, not per year averages for long term deals. Teams need a big discount for long term deals simply to compensate for the vastly greater injury risk.

That's said, Santana is definitely worth 5/$100M, or maybe even a little more. That would be a smart deal, and he might take it since he'd still be close enough to his prime to get another big deal afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is the fact that soriano and zito deals were horrible supposed to convince me santana wont get an overpriced deal too? teams do need a big discount for signing a long deal to compensate for risk but guess what, not all of them are smart enough to ask for it. i dont care if he is worth 100/5, he will get a longer or richer deal than that. i am sure that several other teams would be willing to pay markedly more than that. also, i wasnt the one who said he would get 200/8, i think thats a big overestimate, but it isnt all that crazy or out of the question considering how good santana is. when i said "it isnt all that crazy" i meant "it could conceivably happen", not that it was what he was worth.