Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Badugi resources online?

Are there any good articles on badugi strategy by people who know what they are talking about?

It seems like the fundamentals of this game are much less well-established than, for example, 2-7 TD. There is a great disparity in predraw play even among competent players.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Badugi resources online?

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any good articles on badugi strategy by people who know what they are talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deathdonkey has a superbasic article, which I think is at deucescracked. I think that's about it.

What sort of advice do you want? I'd be willing to write up an article if I thought it would be interesting. Badugi tends to be either awfully straightforward or entirely meta, though.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:54 PM

I think you should write and article because I know that I would read it!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Deathdonkey has a superbasic article, which I think is at deucescracked. I think that's about it.

What sort of advice do you want? I'd be willing to write up an article if I thought it would be interesting. Badugi tends to be either awfully straightforward or entirely meta, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now what I am most interested in is preflop opening and 3-betting standards by position... really the core of any limit poker game.

For example in what situations do you play 2 card hands?

(But don't limit yourself to this topic if you feel like expanding.)
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 AM

Can someone link to the first article?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone link to the first article?

[/ QUOTE ]
http://deathdonkey.com/?p=78 as found in the FAQ of this forum...
Old 06-04-2007, 08:24 AM

is it possible to play badugi online?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:44 AM

Just as a follow up I have been training my badugi intuition a bit by setting up 8-handed O8 games in the Wilson software and mentally playing them out as if they were badugi.

My biggest conclusion is that 2 card hands are far more playable than I thought.

It's just a guess but I think you should start open-raising 2 card hands as early as 3-off the button (definitely 2-off the button).

Decent 3-card hands and pat badugis are just too rare to wait for outside the earliest positions.

I also was reminded of just how bad rough 3-card hands compared to say 2 cards to a wheel.

I think a smooth 3-card 6 like 642 is playable from maybe the cut-off, but it seems to be inferior to something like 32.

(Although it gains a little bluff equity when someone defends in a blind with 32, doesn't improve on the first draw, and then folds assuming he's up against an a34 type hand.)

These are just tentative conclusions, I could be way off.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is it possible to play badugi online?

[/ QUOTE ]
Carbon Poker has it, but from what I've seen so far there are hardly any players.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just as a follow up I have been training my badugi intuition a bit by setting up 8-handed O8 games in the Wilson software and mentally playing them out as if they were badugi.

My biggest conclusion is that 2 card hands are far more playable than I thought.

It's just a guess but I think you should start open-raising 2 card hands as early as 3-off the button (definitely 2-off the button).

Decent 3-card hands and pat badugis are just too rare to wait for outside the earliest positions.

I also was reminded of just how bad rough 3-card hands compared to say 2 cards to a wheel.

I think a smooth 3-card 6 like 642 is playable from maybe the cut-off, but it seems to be inferior to something like 32.

(Although it gains a little bluff equity when someone defends in a blind with 32, doesn't improve on the first draw, and then folds assuming he's up against an a34 type hand.)

These are just tentative conclusions, I could be way off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with basically all this and feel people way overvalue mediocre 3 card hands and undervalue 2 to a wheel. One conclusion I've made that I think people may disagree with is in early position open limping is ok. I feel the game is similar to O/8 in that there are "pull" hands and "push" hands. You don't mind being in a large multiway pot with A2xy and improving or getting out cheaply.

-DeathDonkey