Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 12:45 PM

Default DUIs

Does any OOTers have any Driving Under the Influence charges on their record?

I don't have any myself (don't drink), but I do have a friend that just got his 3rd around Halloween. I think today is the day he learns his fate.

He's pretty unlucky with these things. His first DUI was while in the marines in NC. He was coming back to the base drunk. He got pulled over for doing like 35 in a 50 mph zone or something like that. His 2nd offense, was coming home from a bar, another driver drunker than him, hits him head on. Driver goes to hospital, he goes to jail. 3rd offense irritated the [censored] out of me because I actually drove him home that night. He went back out after I dropped him off. That wasn't a bout of bad luck, just stupidity.

Anyway, my friend is hands down an A-1 guy. He never has a mean word to say to anyone. He helps everyone out. Isn't selfish. Just an all around good person and I've known him since kindergarten (approx. 22-23 years). He's not an alcoholic. In fact, he only drinks maybe once or twice a month and I've seen him go on stretches where he doesn't drink anything for a few months. However, when he does drink, he doesn't want to stop.

So I've looked at the DUI laws for WV. For 3rd offense, it says there is a mandatory 1 year jail term. However, his lawyer has told him that it might be possible to plea guilty to 2nd offense DUI again. I think this is his best scenario he's looking at.

On his first offense he lost his Drivers License for a year. 2nd offense, the cop didn't show up to DMV court, so he didn't lose his license, but he got 6 months house arrest.

Does anyone have an experience in this field? I'm not defending what he did. It was wrong and he probably doesn't deserve to drive again. However, he is an honest and good person that doesn't deserve to be in jail.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: DUIs

No DUIs and I only know a few folks with one. It really does sound like the guy has had some extremely bad luck in this area, but honestly, after the second one he probably should just have gotten rid of his car alltogether, since he's obviously incapable of leaving the car behind when drinking. Actual jail time might be for the best for this guy, so he really learns his lesson.

Swede

3rd strike your out?

[ QUOTE ]
Does any OOTers have any Driving Under the Influence charges on their record?

I don't have any myself (don't drink), but I do have a friend that just got his 3rd around Halloween. I think today is the day he learns his fate.

[/ QUOTE ]

His fate? Doomed to a life of stupidity.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:50 PM

THREE TIMES?

Something's wrong here..
Old 01-12-2006, 12:51 PM

I would question the reciprocal laws between NC and WV. I have a friend who had multiple DUIs. He was allowed to drive in his home state, but not the states where he got his DUIs. Or at least he drove in his state, but absolutely refused to chance it in the others.

Might be where the 2nd offense argument for your friend is coming from.

Due to some family issues, I have a passionate disdain for anybody that drinks and drives. There is absolutely no excuse. Saying things like [ QUOTE ]
That wasn't a bout of bad luck, just stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ] implying that his first two were bad luck, is absolutely retarded. And it only helps to further his personal feelings that DUI isn't dangerous if you don't get caught.

3 DUI's? I think jail would be a good thing for him.

I've never had a DUI but I think here in FL they take your licence to drive away on the 2nd one, so the 3rd is less likely to happen.

Tell your friend to not be a tard anymore.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:54 PM

Nicest guy you ever met or not. Drinking problem or not. Your friend has serious issues in controlling himself while drinking.

Your friend is 23? He has been legally driking for 3 years now and has 3 DUI's? That's simply ridiculous and beyond stupid (especially that last one).

I'm with Swede on this one. Maybe going to jail for a year will be the only thing that wakes your friend up.

Jeez. 3 DUI's. He's lucky he hasn't killed himself or someone else by now.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:56 PM

No problem with helping your friend. However, and attitutude that hes unlucky and A-1 guy is propbably the reason he keeps repeating the offense.

Hes endangering live of innocent people and deserves his jail time if thats what it takes for him to realize it's a serious offense.