Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Busted, Dejected & Wondering WTH Went Wrong...

I play at PokerStars. I mostly play at the $5, 10 and 20 SnG NL HE 9-person tables, and also on the NL cash tables, mostly the $10 Buy-In's. I've played a total of 269 hands. I play by the book for the most part. I don't chase flushes, and I don't raise all-in with A-crap. I've lost a total of $800 thus far.

My question for those with experience and a helpful demeanor is this: What am I doing wrong? Is it that I'm just playing too many cheap games where people routinely raise with suited trash preflop and chase the river for flushes, or are my losses typical of someone new to online NL HE? I'm not new to the game, I play home games quite often and I'm not too shabby. Or is it maybe I haven't played enough online games to judge my experience correctly thus far?

Any advice, reflections and tips would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mr. Frustrated
Old 06-19-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Busted, Dejected & Wondering WTH Went Wrong...

Something isn't adding up. If you've dropped $800 playing $10NL thats like a stack every 4 hands without winning a dime over 269 hands.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:07 AM

The hands I've played and amount lost are those that I added up from Sharkscope. Honestly, I thought I'd played a heck of a lot more games than that...a LOT more. Maybe it has something to do with mainly playing the SnG's? I'm not sure, or even sure if Sharkscope has my correct tally, though I do know the money sounds about right!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:08 AM

Nobody can tell you what you are doing wrong from that. However, you probably have a lot of leaks and some of them are probably major leaks. I would suggest posting hands in the relevant forums and getting advice.

Also am I right in understanding that you're mainly playing one table tournaments from $5-$20 and have lost $800? How many tourneys is that over?....cause that is not good. And actually when playing one table tournaments you should be raising all-in with A-crap and a lot worse a lot in the right situations. Go to the STT forum and learn ICM (emphasis on ICM) to play these.

For $10 NL tables go to micro NL forum and post hands and learn. Read all the stickies and read all the stickies in the small stakes forum as well.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 AM

Lego,

I've yet to figure out how to post my old hands. I downloaded PT though, but I can't get the darn thing to work for some reason (which reminds me, I need to write them about that).

STT and ICM? I have no idea what that stands for but I'll certianly go check that out right now. As for what one can tell me about my game, I know that I'm not posting much to go on here, but I guess I was just curious if losses like this are and should be expected starting out online? I'm into my 7th week online.

Anyway, thank you again for the STT tip.. I'm heading there now.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lego,

I've yet to figure out how to post my old hands. I downloaded PT though, but I can't get the darn thing to work for some reason (which reminds me, I need to write them about that).

STT and ICM? I have no idea what that stands for but I'll certianly go check that out right now. As for what one can tell me about my game, I know that I'm not posting much to go on here, but I guess I was just curious if losses like this are and should be expected starting out online? I'm into my 7th week online.

Anyway, thank you again for the STT tip.. I'm heading there now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actualy never really figured out how to get Poker Tracker to work completely with tournament hands either.

STT = Single Table Tournament; Go to the STT strategy forum
ICM = Independent chip model. You'll see a bunch more about it in STT forum. Read the stickies and the FAQ. Check out Sit and go power tools, sng wiz, or anything similar.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played a total of 269 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to say 269 games.

[ QUOTE ]
I mostly play at the $5, 10 and 20 SnG NL HE 9-person tables

[/ QUOTE ]

There's the problem right there.

No bankroll management.

Jumping around levels without establishing you're a winning player at any level.

It's guys like you who pay my rent.

You really want to turn it around?

You must have a bankroll of 100 buy-ins at whatever level you are playing. Always. If you ever get below that you must immediately move down.

Play only $5 SNG's until you have at least a 15% ROI over 200 tournaments. Do not play any higher until you do. And then, see the first rule.

Read and post in the Tournament Poker:STT Strategy forum. Read the FAQ and stickies and everything linked therin.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 AM

100Buy-ins is a little high. You can probably do 50 and if you're a winning player then you can probably do less at such a low buy-in like $5.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
100Buy-ins is a little high. You can probably do 50 and if you're a winning player

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've lost a total of $800 thus far... at the $5, 10 and 20 SnG

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll stand by 100 buy-ins.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100Buy-ins is a little high. You can probably do 50 and if you're a winning player

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've lost a total of $800 thus far... at the $5, 10 and 20 SnG

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll stand by 100 buy-ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.