Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Default A Tiger, a LAG and a fish walk into a bar

UTG is 52/25/2.82 over 180 hands five handed. I've only been at table with MP this orbit, but he's already shown his retardedness last hand. He open limps in CO, I raise AQo, flop AQ4fd, he c/c, turn 8f he c/c, river Jf, I check behind, his 86s not even a backdoor flush draw is no good.

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

River: (14.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

3-bet turn? Bet/call river? Bet/fold river? Check behind?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: A Tiger, a LAG and a fish walk into a bar

mp has done nothing but call bets the whole way down. What a weird way for a lag to play.

This makes me think threebetting the turn is good, as lag will very often have one pair that he's trying to play WA/WB vs the fish with, or he's got a stubborn flush draw that may also be gutshotted or somesuch. A monster from him would have woken up by then.

We still have to worry about AA, QQ, and AQ from the fish, but he can clearly have lots of worse 1 pair hands as well.

As played I check behind the river, even vs the fish.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:44 AM

I would play the turn the same. Once he checks the river it looks like something that maybe was giving up on the turn, but then decided to bluff check/raise. Would he risk the river checking through with a monster? Even if his check/raise works he might only get the same amount of bets as he would've if he just lead. Then again he is retarded and might just be playing tricky for the sake of it.

When I'm confused I tend to value bet, and I'd call a raise.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:56 AM

The problem with this hand is we are trying read hands of players who are more or less imposible to pin down a narrow range of holdings.

Im not too worried about the fish having a better hand given your hand example.
Im more worried about the LAG in the hand. How much of a spazz is he? How much do you respect his PF cap?
You need to provide a better read to properly analyze the best play here. If you don't have a better read, I suggest trying to pay more attention to LAG's tendencies, they're in so often that it shouldn't be so hard to do. If you don't becuase your multitabling too many tables, just accept this as one of the tradeoffs and know that you will miss value against them.

Without a solid read I would respect the LAG's c/r on the turn simply because he capped PF. I would still assign a fairly tight capping range in a 3way pot unless I saw something which indicated the contrary. I would not put any extra bets in on the turn. AA,AK,AQ,QQ is a very real possiblity.
I would expect the fish to have SOMETIHNG, wheter that be a queen, an ace or a flush draw. So here he could be padding the pot , or sucking up equity...

On the river, when LAG checks again, and no draws completed... I would be somewhat inclined to bet, but it's really marginal and could even be a mistake. The fish CC'ing may have scared him tryin to make a play for whatever reason. He could be trying to C/R again, but it's a really really stupid play, so i'll assume mildly rational play. The fish also provides a nice padding on your bet.
Had the fish not been in I would definitly check behind (it's different than on the turn because now he probabily has 0% equity vs some equity)
Again something you would like a read on.
Don't bet/fold though, bet/call..
Old 02-03-2007, 01:55 PM

i like the turn bet, and once he c/r, I really hate my hand, but the pot is big, and he's retarded.

On the river, once they both check, I can not, not bet here, so I bet, if he c/r again, i probalby should fold, but I will probably call to see QQ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

the problem is, if he's a good lag, he knows you have AK on that flop, so when he c/r the turn anyway, it's like our hand is turned over.

that being said, he could just be retarded with AT because he turned the nuts
Old 02-03-2007, 02:33 PM

Heisenb3rg said it all
nothing to add for me.

"Don't bet/fold though, bet/call.." !
Old 02-03-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would play the turn the same. Once he checks the river it looks like something that maybe was giving up on the turn, but then decided to bluff check/raise. Would he risk the river checking through with a monster? Even if his check/raise works he might only get the same amount of bets as he would've if he just lead. Then again he is retarded and might just be playing tricky for the sake of it.

When I'm confused I tend to value bet, and I'd call a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup
Old 02-04-2007, 06:19 AM

I think the guaranteed information value of seeing his hand, ranks checking behind above all other options.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 AM

my vote is to bet for value and to call a raise from this guy. In real life, I check behind like a pussy.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:07 PM

I once read something from Bob Ciaffone that went something like this: Whenever someone takes an unconventional line against you, it is usually wise to shift most of your focus on their very last action becuz that is the moment that is most likely to reveal the true character of their hand. So when the villain checks the river OOP to 2 opponents who are much more likely to call a bet then bet themselves, I take that as a sign of weakness, so I would bet your nut one pair hand for value and if the UTG check/raises I will quickly call him and be happy with my decision becuz with that super fish in the pot theres just too much value to be had by betting.