Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Tax and Switzerland

Do online poker players who cash their money to a swiss bank account pay tax in Switzerland? I heard the tax office there can not get access to your account unless they can prove you are some major criminal. I know poker is classified as a game of chance there, which leads me to belive it is in fact tax free, like in some other euro countries. This means FTP is tax free in Switzerland? In some countries where online poker is tax free, FTP and Stars is not..

Thank for any help..
Old 10-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Tax and Switzerland

Actually wondering same thing :P

What I can tell you about Swiss law so far is:

Online Poker is forbidden in Switzerland, but only companies providing it that are swiss or located in Switzerland are punishable and players are immune.

Thus as it is in a grey are it most likely isnt taxed. Huge winnings however could be taxable as wealth tax is applicable there.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 PM

yeah, in Switzerland banks have the so called bancary secret as a rule they have to follow to protect their costumers.

This secret is defined like this: the Swiss bank secret protects the privacy of the banks costumers. However it's not absolute, in case of criminal activities the authorities can get access to your accounts. This is the only exception, otherwise foreign istitutions can't get access to your accounts. In case of economic violations, banks apply the discretionary rule and won't give away any kind of information.
If you are from the EU they will take you away a 15-20% of the capital gain, so this is just something that regards the interest. To get that % of money back you need to declare the ammount of money you have deposited in the bank.

In theory online poker is forbidden, but you can get access to websites without troubles and I really doubt that someone has ever been fined for doing this activity. In fact they even broadcasted a transmission on the national tv where they described the living of a Swiss professional online poker player, so talk about common sense....
Old 10-30-2007, 02:14 AM

Since 9/11 there are better offshore places like Singapore.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In theory online poker is forbidden, but you can get access to websites without troubles and I really doubt that someone has ever been fined for doing this activity. In fact they even broadcasted a transmission on the national tv where they described the living of a Swiss professional online poker player, so talk about common sense....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah , they also had some more reports about a live pro playing online for a living now in some magazines and there is no reported case about anyone getting in trouble for doing it(I could link a site that revolves around looking at trials in germany/austria/switzerland regarding online poker, but I doubt that be much use to anyone, well anyway point is, there are no trials regarding this in Switzerland).

On a side note however, the swiss government is considering making online poker and general gambling/sports betting legal as they noticed how much cash is just flowing out of the country atm.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 AM

Isn't Svenska Spel a swedish poker site?