Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 05:30 AM

Default 4/8: Pocket 10\'s curse or blessing-

This is my first post-

Setting: Live 4/8 game, extremely loose and agressive. 3 of the first 4 pots I watched after sitting down were capped to 16 preflop 6-8 way. Villian is drunk and has been autoraising/reraising preflop with any two cards and continues to bet/raise to the river. Players at the table have starting going out of there way to isolate him with very aggressive play (everyone at the table is talking about how villian has rebought 3 times in the last hour alone). Other than villian most players seem typical of live low limit play (although many are whinning how it's always crap hands that are winning the pots).

I get T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian is UTG and raises (surprise). 2 folds 1 caller, I reraise everyone else folds to blinds who call. Villian caps and everyone calls (5 players).

flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian bets flop, previous caller folds and I raise. Both blinds cold call and villian 3 bets I cap and both blinds again call.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian bets again. Action to me.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:33 AM
 is offline

Default Re: 4/8: Pocket 10\'s curse or blessing-

raise and get the blinds out...
Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 AM

You should just call the flop.

The pot is huge and nothing you do can protect your hand at this point plus your equity changes quite a bit depending on what the turn brings.

As played and if you had just called the flop you should raise this turn for value and protection.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 AM

You're up against two blinds who called two cold on the flop.

Twice.

I'd just call, but frankly I think a fold is close.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

the pot's huge. we can probably call for boatvalue alone.

there's a flush draw and straight draws possible. in other words, stuff they blinds will call with; raise the turn. if one of the blinds wake up and 3bet we can talk about folding the river UI. until that happens keep the foot on the gas.

welcome to the forums, by the way.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 AM

if blinds 3 bet here you are probably beat by a 9
Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should just call the flop.

The pot is huge and nothing you do can protect your hand at this point plus your equity changes quite a bit depending on what the turn brings.

As played and if you had just called the flop you should raise this turn for value and protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

the pot's huge. we can probably call for boatvalue alone.

there's a flush draw and straight draws possible. in other words, stuff they blinds will call with; raise the turn. if one of the blinds wake up and 3bet we can talk about folding the river UI. until that happens keep the foot on the gas.

welcome to the forums, by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes, yall. It is expensive, but pays very well when you hit.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 AM

Thanks all for the advice. I think if I could play this hand again I would raise the flop once (to try to get the blinds to fold). But once they call 2 cold, they're going to call 2 cold again so no point in raising the 2nd time.

For those curious on the turn I called (figuring that one of the blinds likely had a 9 and now I was calling for boat value). Clearly I had underestimated the "power of the big bet" on a small stakes table as one of the blinds folded to the single turn bet and the other blind agonized for 10-15 seconds before making the call (I'm now confident that a turn raise gets him to fold 80+% of the time). The river came a J and the drunk villan bet again, I called and the blind called. Thd drunk villian turned over 6 5 (surpise) and the blind turned over AJ and raked in a large pot.

I think I can take two key learnings away from this:

1. raising on the flop with an overpair of 10's only makes sense if I can get other players to fold. Hence why I think I would make the initial flop raise again but not the cap.

2. Never underestimate the "power of the big bet" in SSH (clearly there someplayers who will insta call the flop but you still have a chance to get them to fold to a big bet). Provided I still have an overpair after the turn, this is the best time to try to drive the overcard hands out of the pot.

Thanks all for the warm welcomes and the feedback on my hand.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:51 AM

I don't see any problem with raising the flop twice. The only player showing aggression is the drunk and the blinds could be on two obvious draws. I think charging them the most possible to stay in the hand is the best way to go.

You should raise the turn. Again, the drunk could have ATC, based on your description. Your goal is to charge the blinds if they want to stay in the hand. Based on villain's play and table image, they could realize it may end up costing them 4 BB's to continue in the hand (this is especially true since every street has been capped thus far). If you are facing a raise from one of the blinds (and have noticed the one raising is a passive player), consider folding since you may be drawing to two outs. It's unlikely a passive player will try to steal this pot so a turn raise from a passive player on one of the blinds is a sign of strength, imho.