Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Curt Schilling: Team Player

Schilling states to WEEI and confirms to AP he changed his mind about retiring after the 07 season. He acts as his own agent and is in negotiations for a one year extension from the Sox.

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm in discussions with the Red Sox, we had talked last week and there's a lot going on obviously right now, but where I'm going to play beyond 2007 ... I hope it's Boston," he told the radio station. "This is where I want to play and in the days leading up to spring training we'll figure it out one way or the other. If I go into this season without a contract from the Red Sox then I will go out and find a home for 2008."

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, good, a veiled ultimatum from a 39 year old, declining, expensive pitcher that he wants an extension BEFORE he throws a single meaningful pitch this year, or he's going to shop himself around all season. Awesome veteran leadership. Nice to know you're focused on the team for 2007, Curt.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Curt Schilling: Team Player

Would you expect anything less from a pompous jackass?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:43 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Curt Schilling has earned the right to burn down Fenway park and piss on Ted Williams grave. Boston should give him whatever the hell he wants, regardless of weather he can still pitch or not.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I'm concerned, Curt Schilling has earned the right to burn down Fenway park and piss on Ted Williams grave. Boston should give him whatever the hell he wants, regardless of weather he can still pitch or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

The timing is pretty questionable, with his video game firm just getting started up and spending a ton of money, and with the Sox having just made a bunch of big financial commitments. He couldn't tell them this during the winter? If he wants to keep pitching I'd love to have him around; he's a horse every fifth day even if he is a horse's ass the other four.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because Boston had a fluke game 4 win and then ran the table? Besides, wasn't he already paid for that? I'm sure he got a paycheck in 2004.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be more sympathetic to that if all the overpaid chokers were expected to give a little back for breaking everyone's heart everytime they failed.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because Boston had a fluke game 4 win and then ran the table? Besides, wasn't he already paid for that? I'm sure he got a paycheck in 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, Theo does not share NoodleMan's attitude

I don't have any problem with wanting the extension before the season starts. Hell I don't have a big problem with going public, even if it is an odd time, it's a decent negotiating tactic and the Sox play hardball. But he basically said, "Sign me now or I'm going to shop around for a contract all season and be a giant nuisance." Which is about par for the course.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:03 PM

I don't get why this is a big deal - if Boston isn't going to give him another contract why wouldn't he shop himself around?

I mean he's Curt Schilling, not grando

people actually believe in things like "veteran leadership" and "being focused on the team" and "team player" in professional sports and contracts?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:27 PM

He's a little bitch. Waa, waa, someone bunted in a 2-0 game to break up my no-hitter, waa, waa.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 PM

Ya he's old, but he still gave 200+ innings with <4 ERA last year.

In the AL, you gotta take that.

Even if he declines a little further, that would mean ~175 innings with a ~4.3 ERA or so?

Does someone have those projections handy? I am just guesstimating.