FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Help ItalianFX Choose
Lindsey 29 22.83%
Brittany 11 8.66%
Lindsay 52 40.94%
Renee 35 27.56%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Poll: best way to determine NCAA Div I Football National Champion?

BTW, current system is more than acceptable.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Four team playoff. No more than that. The number 5 team has not ever (prior to this year) in the history of the BCS had a legitimate claim to the national title in my opinion. It *might* happen this year, but it still might not, and that would be a massive fluke. Let the top four battle it out, everyone who deserves a shot gets one, use the current BCS formula to determine it (with more computers included, so that it's a genuine computer POLL), and you're golden.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm okay with a 4 team system as well.
But with an 8 team system you have a better opportunity to give a team like HAW or BSU a chance when they put together an awesome season. And personally, I think it would be exciting seeing a BSU/OU type game with more on the line than just Fiesta Bowl Pride.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just give it to the sec champ annually

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

you really wanna give it to tennessee this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-25-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Four team playoff. No more than that. The number 5 team has not ever (prior to this year) in the history of the BCS had a legitimate claim to the national title in my opinion. It *might* happen this year, but it still might not, and that would be a massive fluke. Let the top four battle it out, everyone who deserves a shot gets one, use the current BCS formula to determine it (with more computers included, so that it's a genuine computer POLL), and you're golden.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm okay with a 4 team system as well.
But with an 8 team system you have a better opportunity to give a team like HAW or BSU a chance when they put together an awesome season. And personally, I think it would be exciting seeing a BSU/OU type game with more on the line than just Fiesta Bowl Pride.

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be a nice upside to an 8 team tourney, but it's not worth the downside of giving teams like LSU/USC/Kansas shots that they don't deserve because they managed to hang around in the top 8. It would devalue the regular season too much. USC's loss to Stanford SHOULD eliminate them from contention (if they lose a second game as well). In a four-team playoff it still does. In an eight-team playoff they can still backdoor their way in, and that's bad. Bad enough that an eight-team playoff would be worse than the current system.

Best options in order:
1. Four team "and one" playoff
2. Current BCS
3. Eight team playoff
Old 11-25-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just give it to ohio state annually

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2007, 01:19 AM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Four team playoff. No more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That would be a nice upside to an 8 team tourney, but it's not worth the downside of giving teams like LSU/USC/Kansas shots that they don't deserve because they managed to hang around in the top 8. It would devalue the regular season too much. USC's loss to Stanford SHOULD eliminate them from contention (if they lose a second game as well). In a four-team playoff it still does. In an eight-team playoff they can still backdoor their way in, and that's bad. Bad enough that an eight-team playoff would be worse than the current system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who exactly do you think would make a 4 team playoff this year? It would be West Virginia, Ohio State, the OU/Mizzou winner and..... USC. Do you really think a Bulldog team that doesn't win its own division or an LSU that tanked at the end of the year would get in over Pete Carroll's bunch?

Usually, I'm all for an 8-team playoff, and I still think it's the best long-term solution, but this year, I'm glad that it's just the top 2. Every team's had their fair shot and it's made the end of the season much more exciting.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:27 AM

10 game regular season, 16 team playoff
Old 11-25-2007, 01:28 AM

I have no idea who the best team in college football is, and I doubt I would have any idea after any size playoff you decide to use. However, at least we would have arrived at a championship game using some objectivity.

The problem comes down to picking who makes the tournament. NCAAB is fine with this because the controversy usually ends up being Team A is seeded to high or low, but a 64 team football tournament would never work. A system using a selection committee would face the same problems as the current system. A system that attempted to make comparable schedules would destroy the tradition of conferences.

There is, of course, Bowl money to worry about, too. Ugh. This will never get done.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 AM

At the end of the season, put every team's name in a hat. If you want to make it interesting, give each team a number of entries equal to their number of wins (or weight it somehow, like the factorial of wins or something).

Brent Musberger pulls a name from the hat, and the winner plays Notre Dame for the national championship.

The advantages of this system over the current system should be obvious. I'll let others elaborate.