Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-28-2007, 11:51 AM

Default T8 Steal gone outta control what to do now?

Here i am, my first post in this forum asking for some serious replies. I'm playing the 50+4 Chinese daily on pokerroom.com, blind levels on 100/200, with 50/174 players remaining . I'm having a healthy stack of about 8.000 points. I'm pretty new to the table so i don't know too much about other players styles.
On the button i'm dealt 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
With all folds to me and the small blind on "away", there's no doubt in my mind i will steal in this situation, so i raise to 600.
The big blind, looking at a stack of about 6.000 raises to 1.200. This is my first actual "decision". Regarding the odds and our relatively big stack sizes i call his raise, hoping for a decent flop. It comes
9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Our villain bet's 1.500 in first position,
What to do what to do?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: T8 Steal gone outta control what to do now?

Well I do not necessarily see villiand re-raise as a steal because he gave you odds all day to call pre-flop. I have had hard times in these situations in the past but here I think I would call and c/c- c/f if you whiff the turn. Middle pair here is not awful but when you think about villians raising range vs the flop there are a lot of raising hands this flop hit and that you are behind to. Folding to villians c-bet would not be terrible as you could be drawing dead vs QK or be behind to a set but a lot of times here you will see a draw and villian will not fire a second bullet if you call his flop bet.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 PM

call the flop and see the turn but it looks like your way behind on this one. A min reraise preflop seems sketchy as villian wants a call and with that flop u could be drawing close to dead. Ur really looking for a 7 on the turn, imo.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:39 PM

preflop is fine. i would just shove the flop. he may fold A10 may call with AK-AQ... you flopped a huge hand gamboooool
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM

I like pushing as well. Unless he's got a set, the board coordination is probably scary for him.

Our hand has a lot of equity even against the hands we're currently behind to, and pushing gives you the psychological-terror edge for later.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM

I think a made straight or a set is quite unlikely, as he usually would have either called or reraised all-in, so most likely is an overpair.

If he plays AA you have 13 outs.
If he plays QQ you have 11 outs.
And against KK only 9.

Against all of these you have no FE if you push.
So here we should to the math with 11 outs and therefore a push should be +EV.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 AM

Thanx for the reactions all, glad i'm not the only one who would shove here. I'm usually on auto-reraise when i flop any pair + a flush or straight draw.
Against AA or AJ i get a little over 40% which is ok with me considering the pot, but only after the hand i realised these are pretty much the only hands that would give me these odds. Against KK, QQ, JJ, 99, KQ, QJ and KJ i'm too far behind to responsibly reshove (since he would call with all of these hands). He ended up having QQ, stealing 3 of my "8" outs and 2 Q outs.
What i learned is that my pair+draw rule only applies in low straights, since the chance you're facing just an overpair is much higher there.