Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: A More Realistic Fred And Ginger Problem

I have never met anyone like Ginger, so I'm sceptical if its possible she exists. I can't see how she would struggle with concepts and be able to anticipate proofs: they seem like such closely linked attributes of the same type of intelligence to me.

Perhaps I am not thinking about it correctly as it applies to maths though - would it be like a snooker player who can always make a specified shot with 100% acccuracy, but can't always see the correct play, so isn't as good a player?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: A More Realistic Fred And Ginger Problem

[ QUOTE ]
I have never met anyone like Ginger, so I'm sceptical if its possible she exists. I can't see how she would struggle with concepts and be able to anticipate proofs: they seem like such closely linked attributes of the same type of intelligence to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people hit roadblocks, too. I haven't met anyone that doesn't struggle a bit at least here and there w/ some concepts.

I side with Ginger because I value creativity more than rote memorization, but it's possible that Fred is smarter if he is constantly researching new material. Ginger has more skill with the material she's absorbed because she's both knowledgeable and creative; Fred is really just knowledgeable.

Ginger really just needs more time and effort to grasp some concepts. I'm unsure to what extent someone can train for creativity, but I doubt Fred will ever get as creative no matter how much research on creativity he does.

Fred and Ginger should get married because their skills overlap nicely.