Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: NL25, hitting top pair against a TAG

He has an AF of 5, he usually won't call AA/KK preflop and slowplay on the flop => Pot it.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a must 3bet situation IMO. As bad as you feel during downswings don't let them affect your play, this hand screams playing not to lose, instead of playing to win.

Unless Villain played back at your for whatever reason before the river, you should have had control of the hand on every street after your pre flop 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

But lets say I 3-bet him preflop and pot the flop. How do I continue after he calls and checks it to me on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I would be a little surprised to see a TAGGY Villain with those stats play the hand this way. After getting 3bet I feel they would probably call to fit or fold on the flop, then get out when you PSB the flop. If he's still in there on the turn, I really think it's time for another value bet. Villain may be tight, but it looks like he raises almost any hand he plays, at 12% he doesn't have a high pair a good majority of the time.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has an AF of 5, he usually won't call AA/KK preflop and slowplay on the flop => Pot it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another great point, you would be able to narrow his range with the pre flop 3bet too. If you get popped with a 4bet from him, watch out.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:49 PM

I really don't mind your play in this hand. Preflop, usually 3bet but you can mix it up. I can see an argument for raising the flop to avoid giving BB good drawing odds, but other than that this can easily be treated as WA/WB. If he's got AA or KK you're in trouble. AK obvious split. Anything else and you are way ahead; likely he has 2 or 3 outs. An obvious exception is if he holds low suited connectors that now have a good draw but those are less likely based on his PF stats. His aggression factor also suggests he is not going to be calling a lot of raises, and will instead fold when he thinks he's behind. Raising postflop is not going to get you extra value, it will just let you know which of WA or WB you are.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Nog, it seems to me you are triying to find a way to justify your line, which seems generated by inner fear, maybe because of a downswing. The correct way to play this hand was suggested here, basically you should have raised every single street. You canīt live in fear.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:56 PM

No I'm not trying to find a way to justify my line, its just that I aint happy with advice as "reraise".
I mean.. that's the same as when you're playing a soccergame and someone in the croud yells SHOOOOOOT. I just like to get advice that comes with an explanation.
The part where Skibble made it more clear where he talks abou tthe AF is fine for me and I agree totaly with him.

On the other hand I also agree with Genesis, the fact that it might be a WA/WB situation against this villain.

The real question here is: how can I find out in hands like these that its an obvious value raise that I have to make or that I'm WA/WB.

What range should I put him on, how to play against that range on this board, .. answers like that would be way better then "raise flop $5-$6 dont let him catch up" or "pot pot pot pot" (no offence to the people who posted that, but really, please explain yourself when posting advice)
Old 09-08-2007, 02:03 PM

You have 60% Equity vs 12.5% raisingrange. So 3-bet. You never find out where you are if you call 4 streets.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:26 PM

He could easily raise with KTs,KJ,KQ,QQ,JJ,TT,99,88 (all in his range) and still like his hand! If you don't raise preflop then do it on the Flop or would you c/c Aces on a 27Q rainbow board because your opponen might hold a set?
Old 09-08-2007, 02:42 PM

Raising this flop is silly. The turn card narrows his range a lot once he bets, I prolly raise on the turn once he bets so weak.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:53 PM

To be more descriptive, the flop is a WA/WB situation, where you beat basically all of his top pair holdings and lose to all of his stronger ones (the two likely sets and AA). There's really no draws on the board. If for whatever reason you thought he would play a flush this way, the turn action pretty much rules it out. Once the next 7 hits on the turn and he bets it really polarizes his range to bottom set, AA, some sort of top pair hand and underpairs. You are way ahead of this range and the turn is the best spot to get more money in the pot.