Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 06:35 PM

Default DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, etc.

I've been debating on whether to hold off on buying new DVDs. Part of me wants to wait until there is a winner in the HD/Blu-Ray battle. But I also wonder if neither format will come to replace DVDs. Some thoughts:

- A good anamorphic DVD looks outstanding on a high-def display already, but many DVDs don't use close to their full potential with respect to video quality (and waste space with previews and junk). Is there a noticeable difference between an excellent DVD transfer and the same film in HD-DVD/Blu-Ray?

- As I grow older, a larger portion of the DVDs I watch are older films anyway. I doubt these would benefit at all from a HD release unless they haven't been re-mastered already.

- Is it too late for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray? This Slate article argues that neither format will be widely adpoted because discs will die off as on-demand and new technologies take over. For example, starting tomorrow, X-box Live will be offering downloadable TV shows and movies, some of which will be in high-def. The article also claims it won't be long before we see things like all seasons of TV shows shipped on small hard drives.

This blog entry disagrees, pointing out packaging is a large part of why people buy DVDs, and the on-demand providers face too many hurdles. One thing I would add here is for me a big reason I buy DVDs the bonus materials. Unless these are offered in a downloadable or on-demand format, I'm not interested.

How do you see the future of video? Do you still buy standard DVDs?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Re: DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, etc.

I wouldn't buy any high def format right now.

I also wouldn't buy any (or many) DVD's, as on demand an online downloading become more prevalent. meaning, I would buy movies I love, but wouldn't start a collection or anything
Old 11-22-2006, 12:06 AM

I remember years ago wondering if I should buy a laser disc machine to watch movies or wait for a higher technology. And I am sure film afficionado's debated whether they should use Video or Beta years before that.

Luckily, I solved the problem by finding a cinematheque that shows films the way they are meant to be seen: on the big screen in a theatre, often in restored or refreshed prints. Nothing beats this experience.

I think the only time I'll watch films at home again is when I can buy a projector of some sort that recreates the cinematic experience perfectly at a reasonable price. These will probably be available in a few years time.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(and waste space with previews and junk)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
a big reason I buy DVDs the bonus materials

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't have it both ways.

I think you were right the first time - dvd's are padded with [censored] to make people feel better when they pay the excessive prices. It is junk.

No way would I outlay for some proprietary HD offering. I am happy to pay-per-view if a decent library is available to download or stream. I don't need the case, I don't need the crappy poor quality discs that come in them and I don't need the padding.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:53 AM

Stagger,

The best way is the typical Criterion approach - movie on one disc, bonus materials on another. The thing that bugs me especially though is how even when bonus materials are on the same disc, often there is a ton of wasted space that could be used for higher video quality. And if space is really an issue, drop the previews and extra audio tracks except commentary.

Do any current on-demand or download services include bonus materials, or is it just the movie?

With resepct to packaging - I kinda like having a movie shelf on display for guests to browse. But now I'm working on putting together a binder with with color photos of cover scans. I just finished doing an inventory using DVD Profiler which should make it easy to put a nice coffee table book together. Then I can just keep the movies stashed somewhere alphabetized so they don't take up living room space.