Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Limit material.

No, it's more basic, worse, full ring, offline. Read it only if you like history, and then add the Middle limit holdem poker (full ring, offline, what looks like 40% loose though they said 1/3 or so, but it doesn't look like it) to it and you have a piece of history, though still to get the more complete picture and how much it took to get the details right, plenty more material is needed, and don't forget the turbo texas holdem limit software and Abdul's preflop strategy, and Pokerroom.com's preflop stats from their site, that are also important steps in the history.

But the Stox book is the first on the line of shorthanded limit holdem after the theory of poker for more general reading. One other sh book is also out and the third one is soon out too.

Also, there's a shorthanded forum somewhere, though nothing is going to be much good in selecting the books as it seems people are giving lots of books and maybe a piece of them is something one needs. Though one can get those books often up to for free, and they do not cost much if anything compared to winnings, but they cost time and energy and it's useless to read some books one does not need to read.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How has HEPFAP been for you all? Is it worth reading in lue of Stox's book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Different stuff. The Stox book is most useful for when you find yourself in a heads up pot with a tough player, or at most a 3 way pot.

Small Stakes Holdem is best for games that have 5 or 6 players average per flop. Holdem for Advanced Players sort of covers both. But HEPFAP is most useful against semi-skilled players that are somewhat aware but not highly advanced.

If you play a variety of different levels you need all of these books.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Different stuff. The Stox book is most useful for when you find yourself in a heads up pot with a tough player, or at most a 3 way pot.

Small Stakes Holdem is best for games that have 5 or 6 players average per flop. Holdem for Advanced Players sort of covers both. But HEPFAP is most useful against semi-skilled players that are somewhat aware but not highly advanced.

[/ QUOTE ]

the games that are listed in Small Stakes don't exist online anymore, unless you go to play money, or to .1/.2

When I was rebuilding my roll last year, I was bonus whoring 1/2 absolute full ring. It was the hardest game I've ever played in. And I played up to 5-10 on pokerroom, and 10-20 short on AP now. The 5 to a flop days are over, unless you are playing 4=8 live.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:07 AM

5k hands a day? WTF
Old 10-06-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the games that are listed in Small Stakes don't exist online anymore, unless you go to play money, or to .1/.2

When I was rebuilding my roll last year, I was bonus whoring 1/2 absolute full ring. It was the hardest game I've ever played in. And I played up to 5-10 on pokerroom, and 10-20 short on AP now. The 5 to a flop days are over, unless you are playing 20-40 live.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 04:57 AM

Yes, Small Stakes pretty much only applies to 5/10 and lower brick and mortar games.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:53 PM

I understand why there is so much sarcasm against OP. It reminds me what I heard from 2+2 1 year ago when I was claiming that I am going "pro" after just 1 month of playing. I am trying to make a serious suggestion here since I have been there.

At first, OP, you must read "every" good book out there. Re-read them every once in a while. Right now there are only 2 books about Shorthanded fix limit games, so just read them a few times. Your theory is correct, 6 tabling $0.5/$1 can make a comfortable living if you don't have a family to support. This career offers a lot of freedom, so you might want to take the advantage of it and grind out harder when you are still young. Make sure to move up to $1/$2 as soon as you have 600BB and move down when it's only 300BB left. It might lead to higher variance but you will definitely learn more on $1/$2 and improve faster even if you have to move up and move down repeatedly for a few times in your career.

For those ppl who thinks 6 tabling $0.5/$1 for $4000 monthly is pathetic, you guys are probably too lucky. As far as I know 90% of population in this world find it nearly impossible to make $4000 after tax before they hit 30 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2007, 03:57 PM

You have to pay tax on poker winnings if you are in the US. I'm finding it implausible that someone is making $4000/mo on .5/1 without moving up. Working an office job is probably better than playing 120,000 hands a month.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The 5 to a flop days are over, unless you are playing 4=8 live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or $80/160 live.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It reminds me what I heard from 2+2 1 year ago when I was claiming that I am going "pro" after just 1 month of playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense dude, but was/is a horrible idea. I'm glad it worked out for you, but I would talk anybody but my worst enemy and poker prodigies out of doing that.