Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 02:11 PM

Default hiring a maid

Because of my love of cleanliness and my hatred of actual cleaning, I'm thinking of hiring a maid. When I was living in costa rica, we had a maid who charged $10 a day, and life was great. Now that I live in San Francisco, I anticipate that I may have to spend more like $15/hr but I think it might still be worth it.

Anyone want to share their experiences with having a maid clean their houses/apartments? I have a 2 bedroom fairly large apartment. No dishwasher, free washer dryer downstairs. What can I expect of a maid? Dishes, laundry, folding, ironing? Can I expect to tell her where certain stuff is supposed to go and have her do that? Like...recycling goes here, t shirts goes here, bowls go here?

Also best place to find a maid? I got a recommendation from a friend but she didn't sound 100% enthusiastic about it.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: hiring a maid

Molly Maids LDO [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I've had one before, when I was overwhelmed with work and I paid about $40-$50 per cleaning session, which was once a week or sometimes every 2 weeks.

The first time the maid comes, you give her a tour and explain how YOU like things done, where things go, etc etc and then within a few visits she'll have it down pat.

T
Old 10-14-2007, 03:07 PM

I'd say this post belongs in OOT and not EDGD, but then it'd probably be locked, so who knows.

Yeah, its fine to tell the maid where specific things go, even give her a list if you like. Although, I think the more exacting you are with your instructions and standards, the more you should be willing to pay.

What do you mean, "not 100% enthusiastic". Was she just like "yeah, i'd recommend her, she gets the job done." if that's not enough, prepare to pay a little more.

I think google is your friend here.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:50 PM

I've had pretty good luck with Craigslist. The average price is $50 and they come every two weeks. Could be more if you expect them to do laundry.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:04 PM

I've had a husband-wife team do our house once a week for about eight years, they're the best. They do everything, including laundry. I pay them $80 a visit and tip them around $300 at the end of the year. They put everything back in the wrong places, but I think that's standard. I was put together with them by a friend, I don't think I'd be comfortable with somebody from Craigslist in my house (my people often come and clean when we're not home).
Old 10-14-2007, 07:17 PM

You guys pay too much. Craigslist, get an illegal, pay like $10-12/hr and profit. Always pay hourly and get them to do whatever you need done that day.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys pay too much. Craigslist, get an illegal, pay like $10-12/hr and profit. Always pay hourly and get them to do whatever you need done that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'd be comfortable with somebody from Craigslist in my house (my people often come and clean when we're not home).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 PM

i also live in the bay area, and i just hired a mexican lady to clean our house....she comes once a week for 75 bucks a visit....she doesnt cook or anything, and im thinking of getting me a lady from a poor country that can do everything for ~500/month or so....is this possible?

Indy
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 PM

TheMetetron,

What Noah said. Also, I gave my people a $20/week raise when the wife of the team had her gall bladder removed in Tijuana to save money and had complications from the surgery (no insurance ldo). These people make a legitimate contribution to the quality of my life on a number of fronts.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:26 PM

I have a logistical problem with letting a maid come when I'm not home: my apartment building has a security door at its entrance for which the key is uncopyable. So to let anyone in I have to buzz them in from the house. To get another key from my landlord would cost $125.

This is the main reason I haven't hired a maid yet (my place could use a bit of sprucing up), and it's really dumb.