Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Default weird donk

Villain is loose and stupid. Hes made some awful bluffs and will bet when checked to, but it also pretty passive in general.

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $10/$20
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, 3 folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9.5SB, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.25BB, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero
Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: weird donk

I usually just call here. I like to try to punish my opponents for making bets like this, but too often it will open you up to a reraise with the worst hand, or he'll just fold to your raise anyway.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:57 PM

Do you know what his range is with that PFR. Will he call a raise with Ax
Old 11-29-2007, 06:52 PM

Without knowing he is likely to bluff/call I can't do anything other than call. A4 is a big possibility if he is a fish, but also if he's stupid I wouldn't put it passed him to have either 55 or a 2! There of course is a flipside that he may be stupid enough to bet/call UI K or he thinks he is value betting A hi.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 PM

If he's pretty passive in general we can throw out the possibility that he's raising A4 UTG, no?

This bet always feels like an AT-AK that swung and missed all streets but I usually just call this river as he'll either fold or re-raise you more than simply call your raise.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's pretty passive in general we can throw out the possibility that he's raising A4 UTG, no?

[/ QUOTE ]
villain is BB
Old 11-29-2007, 08:06 PM

It is possible that he has a monster and didn't want to knock out UTG, so I don't like raising. If it was HU the whole way I'd raise. But just call here.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:45 PM

To me it looks like it could be A high thinking "Oh, the board double-paired, I gotz the nutz", but that's maybe only true for a bad player at 1/2 where I hang about. That player would then call a raise with his A high.

"Villain is loose and stupid. Hes made some awful bluffs..." Raise. If he hasn't 3-bet stupidely, I guess folding to a 3-bet should be in order. I'd call though, and hate myself for raising in the first place.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 PM

It means he has a 4(or some wierd straight). You have to call though! I get it all the time when, especially when the bottom card pairs on the river and then they donk you, you know they just hit their 5 outer but you have to call.
It's even worse when you 3 bet preflop with aa and the bottom card pairs on the river then the donk ckeckraises when the bottom card pairs. You know he has it but you have to call.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:25 PM

My default used to be to raise here because I would get paid off by a ton of worse hands. But as the games have gotten a bit tougher, you're beat here more often than you're getting called by worse, so just call unless you have specific reads based on his previous bluffs.

Also, I don't think this is a weird donk. A loose passive player could easily have played 4x like this. It's not like he donked a 9h river, where you'd have a fist-pump raise.