Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 05:45 AM

Default ($27) 77 against LAGG on undercard flop

Opp's stats were 32/24/9.0 over 25 hands. What's the right line here? Raise preflop? As played, bet the flop? Check-raise opp's c-bet? Just let it go?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

CO (t1370)
Button (t1360)
SB (t1455)
BB (t1025)
UTG (t3270)
Hero (t2875)
MP2 (t2145)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7, 7.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls t100, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t475) 2, 5, 2 <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t200</font>, BB folds, Hero ????
Old 11-22-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Re: ($27) 77 against LAGG on undercard flop

Call and re-evaluate.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:51 AM

yah, i don't see a problem with c/c on the flop since you are deep.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:05 AM

As the hand stands right now; Calling &gt; Folding &gt; Raising. But if you are to call 1/2 pot OOP, I think you should've bet out yourself in the first place. A lot of cards that come on the turn will force you to c/f, so better to take that 'fold equity' you have on the flop and bet it. (with 9 Aggression factor he's not a calling station)
Old 11-22-2007, 06:21 AM

With a AF of 9, it's basically garanted that he will bet and there is strong possibility that he will raise when you bet so I like the c/c line.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:45 AM

Ok, the more I look at this hand the more I don't like my advice to c/c.

I mean, he's very aggro. Which means he's probably capable of double barreling with A high here (or some other hand you have beat).

So, this combined with the equity that his range has even if your 77 is good and the fact you are out of position, I would lean for a c/f on this flop. Any paint card, any spade, etc is going to suck. You are still going to have to fold this hand a large percentage of the time on later streets, I think you might as well conserve those chips by just letting it go now.

If he was more passive and then you can figure he's going to play the hand very straight forward, then I'd c/c.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As the hand stands right now; Calling &gt; Folding &gt; Raising. But if you are to call 1/2 pot OOP, I think you should've bet out yourself in the first place. A lot of cards that come on the turn will force you to c/f, so better to take that 'fold equity' you have on the flop and bet it. (with 9 Aggression factor he's not a calling station)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think donking this flop is only valuable if folding to a second barrel will be a difficult decision. Either way, it's basically a bluff but will make the hand easier to play. Of course, you could still get called, but against this aggro opponent getting called should be scary enough to shut down action with your 77.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:54 AM

check-raise on the flop. he could have raised preflop with a wide range of hands and af9 means he'll conti anyway even with KJ or something like that.
it's hard here, because you dont want him to stop bluffing, but also don't want that he catchs something - even a scary-card would help him on the turn (A,K,Q,...) to force you to fold.
so i think with a check-raise you can evaluate where you are, if he 3-bets he has almost allways a nice pair. if he calls he can have also a pair, but a medium one or and flushdraw with overcards - but the call will show weakness and you should punish him on the turn also, even if a scary-cards comes.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:55 AM

What's wrong with raising, devin?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check-raise on the flop. he could have raised preflop with a wide range of hands and af9 means he'll conti anyway even with KJ or something like that.
it's hard here, because you dont want him to stop bluffing, but also don't want that he catchs something - even a scary-card would help him on the turn (A,K,Q,...) to force you to fold.
so i think with a check-raise you can evaluate where you are, if he 3-bets he has almost allways a nice pair. if he calls he can have also a pair, but a medium one or and flushdraw with overcards - but the call will show weakness and you should punish him on the turn also, even if a scary-cards comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

hypothetical situation, we some how got in this spot with 87hh. Would you c/r it?