Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Re: NCAA Football Week 11

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Usually when the team I'm cheering for makes a huge hit like that, I'm just happy to start with and it's not until later that I wonder if the guy's hurt. But when that guy hit Brennan, I just cringed instantly like "oh [censored], I hope his neck's not broken".

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't see the Brennan hit, but that's pretty much what I felt when I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC7_WHGsoV8

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think this is the nastiest hit I have ever seen in a football game. Surprisingly this kid wasn't even knocked out, but his jaw was messed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSYC2NF8x00
Old 11-11-2007, 06:08 AM

LOL

WOODY CAN EAT A DICK
Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The NCAA formula is {(8.4*yards) + (330*TDs) - (200*INTs) + (100*COMPs)}/ATTs, so the max possible rating would be 1261.6 if you completed 100% of your passes, getting a touchdown every time, and averaging 99 yards per attempt.

The NFL forumla is similar, in that it is based on the same four stats, but the scalars are different, and each stat is capped so that after you hit a certain point (77.5% completions, 12.5 yards per attempt, 8.42 attempts per touchdown, and zero interceptions) doing better in that stat no longer ups the rating, which results in an artificial cap of 158.3. If it weren't for the cap, NFL rating would max out at 831.25.

[/stat geek]

[/ QUOTE ]

TY. My next question would be how does the overlaid scale work in college, as compared to the NFL? As a rough estimate, you can sort of take NFL QBR like a grade, where 90% is pretty solid, 100% is excellent, 80% is ok, 70% is bad, and so on. I imagine that in college, the good QBs are consistently putting up over 100, right? I mean, Tebow is averaging like 175 and while his stats are pretty good, they arent like jaw-dropping for a college QB. Is it standard from year to year to have a whole bunch of QBs average 100+?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I still think this is the nastiest hit I have ever seen in a football game. Surprisingly this kid wasn't even knocked out, but his jaw was messed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSYC2NF8x00

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy named Mallard ends up playing for the Ducks, what are the odds?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish the Navy game was on TV, 49-45 at the half.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had to do a search to see if anyone caught this. Final score was Navy 74 North Texas 62, setting the record for first half total score and final total score among major college teams. Navy played some defense and held NT to 13 points in the second half... sick.

Navy 10 35 20 9 74 Final

NTex 21 28 07 6 62
Old 11-11-2007, 12:25 PM

Anyone see DeMarco Murray's (Oklahoma) kick return at the end of the first half last night.

Short version: Baylor squibs. Demarco tries to grab the ball at the 20 and it gets past him. He drops it and finally picks it up at the 6 yard line. One Baylor player grabs him by the collar and five others are within ten feet. Demarc avoids the collar-tackle and sprints up the right sideline for 6.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just to recap:

Tim Tebow threw for 300 yards, 2 TDs. He ran for 120 yards and 5 TDs.

But he isn't the frontrunner for the Heisman because Dennis Dixson's team has less losses and because he is a sophomore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim Tebow 5 Yd Run (Joey Ijjas Kick)
Tim Tebow 1 Yd Run (Joey Ijjas Kick)
Tim Tebow 3 Yd Run (Joey Ijjas Kick)
Tim Tebow 2 Yd Run (Joey Ijjas Kick)
Tim Tebow 5 Yd Run (Joey Ijjas Kick)

big effin deal

if the Florida Gaytors (7-3) had a running back he wouldn't need to carry it in from there.

Go Ducks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Big effin deal? He had other very awesome runs & no one here, especially Gator fans are knocking DD. They're neck & neck, IMO & the rest of the season should determine the winner, but Tebow's toughest opponents are behind him & he has performed amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy Gator...I wasn't knocking Tebow, just Florida's lack of another running back and the amazing number of opportunities to score from within 5 yards.

The number of short TD runs by TT yesterday inspired me to do a little digging into his stats, which quickly grew into a look at the stats of DD, TT, and the teams as a whole. Some interesting things popped up, and I'm not sure if they have any real meaning or not.

First, let's just look at the overall stats of DD & TT:

TT obviously has the edge in the number of rushing TDs, but DD has over one YPC more and has ripped off a long one for a touchdown.
Although their completion percentages, TDs, and INTs are damn near identical (projecting one more game for Dixon), Tebow averages over 20 yards a game more, 1.5 yards/attempt more, and his QB rating is exceptional.

The stats at the bottom look at the length of scoring plays, and here you really see the results of the big play offense of Oregon. Dixon's rushing TDs are over 9 yards longer than Tebow's, and his passing TDs are over 11 yards longer. As a team, Oregon's rushing TDs by other ball carriers are over 5 yards longer than Florida's.

So, Tebow is aided by having a lot of opportunities at short rushes for TDs. As I said in my original post, it would help if Florida had another running back to carry the ball into the endzone. Oregon has 20 rushing TDs by someone other than Dixon, and Florida has 11. What is amazing is that 8 of the 11 rushing TDs by someone other than Tebow came in the first three games.

So how does Florida have so many opportunities for short TDs? Well it's interesting to look at the team stats for each team.

Somewhat amazing that Florida has 5 players who's longest run is over 20 yards, yet none of those plays are for a touchdown. Oregon has one. It's also interesting that Florida has seven players with a longest reception of over 30 yards, but only three of those longest plays are for TDs. Notice the number of Oregon receivers who's longest reception was also a score. At a glance it looks like the Oregon players to a better job of taking the play to the house and not being stopped short of the endzone, leaving an opportunity for a short TD.

One final interesing group of stats on the distance of TDs.
# TDs 1-5 yds: FL 26, OR 16
# TDs 6-10 yds: FL 6, OR 5
# TDs 11-20 yds: FL 9, OR 10
# TDs 21-30 yds: FL 5, OR 4
# TDs 31-40 yds: FL 3, OR 3
# TDs 41-50 yds: FL 1, OR 3
# TDs 50+ yds: FL 2, OR 7

I know that this pseudo-analysis is mostly hypothesis and guesswork, but the numbers ARE interesing to look at.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:08 PM

Awesome stats.

Tebow's avg yards per touchdown is pretty amazing considering his long was not for a touchdown. Which must mean all of his TD runs are pretty much inside the 10 yard line where it always tougher to run and pass the ball. He is one tough kid that can take a hell of a beating, that is what that tells me.

But, I can't really see Tebow winning it this year as a sophomore even if he is deserving. Double D has a potential MNC game appearance which will also help him in the voting.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:45 PM

LSU better become UK fans for a week, and then UT fans, because I could see them having serious trouble with UGA in the championship game.

And I hate UGA.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:57 PM

For sure. Go Cats for 2 weeks, though. UGA is coming on and could beat LSU and obviously so can the Gators.

Auburn just totally did not show up defensively, but UK probably won't be able to bring UGA back to reality.