Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Mark Seif responds 1/11/07. Most amusing!

From http://www.bluffmagazine.com/blog/bl...0&bcatid=4

11/1/2007 12:33:52 PM EST
My Mood: Chillin...
quick blog to clear some things up...
This will be a quick blog today, as I have a very packed schedule with quite a few meetings. I think it’s important though, to again, clear up some confusion. Specifically, I want to address two points that have legitimately been raised. One, why haven’t I severed all ties with Absolute Poker? Two, why do I feel Todd Witteles has acted improperly? This second question, I have to be brief about for reasons that will be obvious down the road. Also, I want to make a brief point about the hand histories from my February 15, 2006 session that has been called into question.

I have not severed all ties with AP, despite numerous requests for me to do so, for one main reason. The investigation is not complete. There is still a tremendous amount of information to be learned about what happened. Such as, how it happened, when did it start, how long did it last, who was involved, who knew about it, and how pervasive was it? As I write this, there are third party independent auditors travelling to AP’s world-wide offices looking into the Company’s practices, procedures, databases and systems. They are accumulating tons of data about every aspect of AP’s operation. Doesn’t it seem reasonable to wait until the investigation is complete before I make this decision?

Would it not be hypocritical of me to ask the public to wait until all the evidence is in regarding my own involvement before forming an opinion, but at the same time, quickly conclude that AP is guilty of such egregious conduct that I must sever all ties with the Company before the investigation is complete? Wouldn’t I be doing the same thing that some are doing to me? That is, unfairly jumping to conclusions without all the facts?

For clarity’s sake, I will go on the record again regarding my involvement. I never engaged in this malfeasance in any way, shape or form, nor did I know about it, nor did I benefit from it in anyway. Yet some people SWEAR I was in on it. They are 100% wrong! The evidence and the truth will eventually come out. But, it takes time.

Just look at a fairly recent and very similar matter in the news the Duke Lacrosse rape scandal. Everyone thought they were guilty because charges were leveled against them. It turns out they were not guilty. It took many many months before there was even the slightest hint that they might be telling the truth, that they didn’t do it.

Second point. Witteles has made several false claims and he continues to do so. I’ll talk a little about this and after that, I’m pretty much going to refrain from talking about him. He clearly enjoys the spotlight much more than I do and he has opportunistically used this situation to try to elevate his standing in poker. In the end, when all the evidence comes out, I think, people will have a very different view of him and his role in this matter.

He says I owe him an apology because AP has admitted there has been a security breach; therefore he must not have been lying or exaggerating. Does that make any sense at all? What about the statements he made about me personally? What about the statements he made about the February 15, 2006 session?

I believe very strongly that he has knowingly and intentionally or with reckless disregard for the truth (which are not elements of the offense by the way) made at least one statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government or nation. That’s all I can say about it for now.

One last thing, my hand histories from the Feb 16, 2006 session. I have been told that it is likely that Absolute Poker does have those hand histories along with all other real money hands ever played on the site. They apparently are on tape and will be retrievable. I hope this is true. I really really hope so. I think the person who told me they don’t have them may have been mistaken. I really don’t know at this point. I’m just telling you what I have been told by two different sources, obviously in direct conflict with one another.

When I agreed to show my hole cards I had never requested them from AP at that point and was shocked, as everyone else was, to learn they weren’t available. That is the truth! That’s why I am cautiously optimistic that the earlier statement that they are not available, may be incorrect.

One last point about these HHs. I have agreed to expose my hole cards because of 15-20 minute session, if I recall correctly, where my opponent (through his “friend”) wonders if I could see hole cards because I ran so hot/made all the right plays. Imagine how many times that happens every single day in poker. Tens of thousands? I think that would be conservative. So every time a site’s pro has that kind of session, we should all demand to see his hole cards right? I know there is a difference here in that impropriety has taken place at AP, and for that reason, I have agreed to turn up my hole cards.

I am just trying to illustrate a point. My opponent and his friend’s claim will be proven false when and if the HHs are retrieved. I am certain of that because I know I did nothing wrong. But just think for a moment, if you were me how you would feel about such a serious accusation because you ran hot for 15-20 minutes?

-- Mark A. Seif
Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Mark Seif responds 1/11/07. Most amusing!

On point 1. they already admitted upper management/staff cheated the people they are meant to protect, ohai.

Why doesnt he just admit he owns part of AP? It seems clear from all the posts about the matter that the true ownership of AP is hidden behind multiple shell companies :/

point 2. threatening legal action without actually taking it is in fact something you can take legal action against.

Mark Seif is an utter douchebag.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:29 PM

"Second point. Witteles has made several false claims and he continues to do so. I’ll talk a little about this and after that, I’m pretty much going to refrain from talking about him. He clearly enjoys the spotlight much more than I do and he has opportunistically used this situation to try to elevate his standing in poker. In the end, when all the evidence comes out, I think, people will have a very different view of him and his role in this matter.

He says I owe him an apology because AP has admitted there has been a security breach; therefore he must not have been lying or exaggerating. Does that make any sense at all? What about the statements he made about me personally? What about the statements he made about the February 15, 2006 session?"

What false claims has he made, Mr. Seif? I'm not trying to flame here, but Seif is just babbling. Do these two paragraphs make any sense?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just look at a fairly recent and very similar matter in the news the Duke Lacrosse rape scandal.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Seif writes:
[ QUOTE ]

Witteles has made several false claims and he continues to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seif has stated this before. Yet he refuses to say what those false statements are. Seif=douchebag (imo)
Old 11-01-2007, 03:34 PM

lol @ not resigning b/c the investigation is still "ongoing". ppl cheated. AP admitted they cheated. anyone who cares about his own integrity and of the company he represents would have quit instantly. it is obvious he is more involved with the company than just as a spokesperson
Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM

How can anyone trust their third party audit? Especially after this guy who has a history of deception is endorsing them. Also Mason offered to send a party of legitimate auditors at his expense and they rejected I believe.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:38 PM

Did he really just make an anology to the Duke rape case?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:40 PM

mark should really take his case to court. that will really put things out in the open. what a blabbermouth.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can anyone trust their third party audit? Especially after this guy who has a history of deception is endorsing them. Also Mason offered to send a party of legitimate auditors at his expense and they rejected I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm.... no. Mason wouldn't pay for Absolute's audit.