Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 AM

Default Re: ***World Champion Red Sox Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
oh and coco, 2nd most expensive 4th OF in MLB

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw i heard people is cleveland talking about trying to trade for Coco...

i would hate that though
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 AM

Mike Timlin is still a good relief pitcher, and should he wish to continue pitching, we should give him his one year, three million dollar contract or whatever he wants. Tim Wakefield is a good deal and should certainly be picked up. Julian Tavarez has a below market option that should be picked up, but I certainly won't mind if we just flip him somewhere.

Johan Santana is entering his age 29 season and is a tremendous talent. Our biggest movable assets are Ellsbury and Buchholz. The Twins would also certainly be interested in Crisp or Lester. Bowden and Masterson might help close a deal. I don't think Theo will trade Ellsbury or Buchholz, but if we can get Santana for Lester/Crisp/Masterson, I definitely think we should make that move.

Josh Beckett, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz are a tremendous young core for our starting rotation, rounded out by Schilling and Wakefield for one more year looks like tremendous depth.

Delcarmen, Okajima and Papelbon are a good young backend to the bullpen, but I'm not too enthralled with Delcarmen. I would not be opposed to moving him. I like Tavarez plenty to have him in here, but I'd prefer we didn't hold on to Javier Lopez. A proven power RHP would solidify this bullpen, but it looks to be a strength whether or not they get him.

Varitek is ancient and in the last year of his deal, we need to find a good young catcher to hopefully replace him in 2009. Lowell would be a fine signing, but A-Rod would be better obviously. If they still like Youkilis at third, they can try to find a solution at first base instead. I think moving Manny is probably a good idea considering how bad his defense and baserunning are at this point, but probably only happens if we can sign A-Rod or Santana. I'm fine with Drew/Crisp/Ellsbury taking 2 of 3 OF spots, but I'd like a little more power from the third guy.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 AM

that would be bad for CLE i think. its starting to become apparent that he wont hit like he did back when he was w CLE so that leaves his main value as great defensive CF which they already have.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that would be bad for CLE i think. its starting to become apparent that he wont hit like he did back when he was w CLE so that leaves his main value as great defensive CF which they already have.

[/ QUOTE ]

how did he not lose his job to ellsbury sooner?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Timlin is still a good relief pitcher, and should he wish to continue pitching, we should give him his one year, three million dollar contract or whatever he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

preach.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1B- whomever is available

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Carter, ready to go.

For whoever was talking about young pitchers, Michael Bowden is leap years better than Masterson and at the same level within the system. It really falls off after those two and Buchholz. With Jed Lowrie as a utility guy waning in the wings (or forcing Lugo to UT), this team really doesn't need to make a big move. Just load up a couple of relivers and maybe a swingman and be marginally better than the Yanks, Tigers, and Indians.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mike Timlin is still a good relief pitcher, and should he wish to continue pitching, we should give him his one year, three million dollar contract or whatever he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

preach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but...

As with Schilling, I'm not convinced Timlin can last another full season. If we re-sign him, it has to be with the understanding that his use has to be pretty carefully monitored for the first 3-4 months of the season so that his arm doesn't fall off in the late season, when his value as a tough as nails guy to get 2-3 hitters is accentuated.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:22 AM

What's up with Gagne, his contract is over?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's up with Gagne, his contract is over?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Sox can get a deal on him that would be very nice. I am sure they will make him an offer (if they lose him to FA do they get a draft pick?).

Wait, zomgngd, I will pretend I didn't look at his stats, he has sucked so bad.

craig
Old 10-30-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how did he not lose his job to ellsbury sooner?

[/ QUOTE ]

cuz he is a REALLY good CF. also he hit here and there.