Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Ron Zook >>>> Charlie Weis

Each is in their 3rd year. Both follow guys who left the cupboard bare [1]. Both had great recruiting classes. But, the programs look like they are going in opposite directions.

What does all this mean?

1. Charlie seems to be pretty poor at developing the young guys. This is way different than the NFL

2. With kids you need a standard package. Trying to scheme each week won't work in college. I see ND play and they have like zero identity.

3. The Zooker isn't just a great recruiter (best in the country), he can develop his kids.

4. Maybe, just maybe, he's not as bad a coach as people think.

I am thoroughly enjoying watching my lowly Illini look like a program on the rise while ND is a program going through a demise. Yeah, ND will be back, but Charlie sure seems like he's got some work to do before he really becomes what people hoped he'd be.

[1] Yeah, ND had enough talent to go bowling during Charlie's first few years, but he didn't get hired because people were happy with the talent level in the program.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Ron Zook >>>> Charlie Weis

[ QUOTE ]
[1] Yeah, ND had enough talent to go bowling during Charlie's first few years, but he didn't get hired because people were happy with the talent level in the program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Charlie's only two full recruiting classes have been outstanding. Talk to me in 2 years. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Charlie's only two full recruiting classes have been outstanding. Talk to me in 2 years. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So have Zook's. Which are doing better?

Zook better recruiter, and better developer of those recruits.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:35 PM

the new orleans saints miss Zook.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So have Zook's. Which are doing better?

Zook better recruiter, and better developer of those recruits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Fat Charlie's recruiting classes have been good on paper, but it's translated into literally zero success on the football field this year.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:44 PM

When he was w/ NE, I was in awe of Charlie's play-calling. I'd never seen anyone better, which was hard to see through my blind hatred of NE. Plus, he's a Jersey guy.

After watching ND for the last few years combined with the recent developments in NE, I don't know what to think about Charlie.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wait? We can see those "outstanding" recruits NOW!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:03 AM

So back to back BCS bowls don't mean anything? I think it's only fair to compare both coach's full body of work, at which point your the title of your post becomes much more dubious. Here's some excellent analysis comparing this year's Irish to the Miami program of the late 90's following the "death penalty" of scholarship limitations for various program infractions here

All you need to know about Zook you can learn from his tenure at Florida. His teams were consistently mediocre despite bringing in National Championship caliber talent each year. On the plus side, it appears that Benn was worth every penny.

The 2nd half of the Purdue game portends good things for the Irish future. We're still almost certainly looking at an 0-8 start, but great talent of the FR class is beginning to creep through (Clausen, Tate, Parris, Allen). The dark days are almost behind us.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So back to back BCS bowls don't mean anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you only get invited to them because you'll bring lots of fan and TV ratings, then yes they don't mean anything.

The talent of your team is not measured by how much Brent Musburger & ESPN sucks your [censored].

Get a [censored] clue delusional ND homer.