Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

I honestly don't think you can compare ND to USC or Texas, or whatever massive program. The schools are just so different. People go to USC to play in the NFL. Plain and simple.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:18 PM

The reloading thing goes a bit too far, since by this time Carroll has had a chance to recruit and had all his players reach upperclass status. Weis has recruited very well, so in a couple years losing a bunch of players shouldn't mean instant devastation (if he keeps recruiting well).

It's not unexpected that they'd do bad, given Ty's late classes and the fact that all the highly ranked players are frosh or sophomore. They're basically playing with a MAC-level oline.

The problem is that they aren't performing anywhere near THAT well. Their MAC level O-line is playing like a DIII O-line. Instead of being mediocre or even somewhat bad, they're so atrocious they've taken the spotlight off of my Wolverines (thank God for that). Good coaches (and obviously great ones) can't spin straw into gold, but they sure don't ever have a team that looks like this in Year 3, either.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:29 PM

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame!
Can't score a touchdown!
Can't win a game!
Cash the checks from NBC
and marching winless to Navy!
Old 09-20-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not unexpected that they'd do bad, given Ty's late classes and the fact that all the highly ranked players are frosh or sophomore. They're basically playing with a MAC-level oline.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are, that's 100% coaching, because the raw talent out of high school is something that MAC coaches have wet dreams about. I understand that with the turnover and youth on the team that we were almost assuredly going to take a few steps back, but I never expected a full fledged retreat, 5th year seniors repeatedly snapping the ball over the qbs head, our freshman all-american, all world recruit tackle to suck and regress horribly. I hope Weis can turn it around, and he definitely gets another year to turn things around, his recruiting and last two years have been too good to fire him after a single bad season, but he has completely blown this transition for whatever reason.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I genuinely want to know how this season can be explained away to leave Weis' reputation in tact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously ND fans will hand-wave away this season and blame "Ty's recruits".

ND fan nation logic:

- Season goes well with Ty's recruits? Make a BCS bowl with Ty's recruits, guys like Quinn, Samardzijxjipja, McKnight, Stovall, Carlson, Fasano, Walker? --> all credit goes to Charlie's coaching acumen.
- Season going terribly? Have the 119th ranked offense in the nation, despite the fact your current coach is an ostensible offensive "genius"? --> all blame on Ty and his terrible recruiting classes ranked in the 30s and 40s by national publications and ranking services. As someone in another thread noted, when you add together a couple of recruiting classes ranked in the 30s and 40s nationally and mix it together with one of the greatest offensive minds of all time, you somehow get the 119th ranked offense in the nation. Does this cause ND fans to bat an eye? Nope; this is rebuilding year, so once Ty's Guys are purged, Charlie can finally get down to winning national championships every year. Despite the fact he hasn't been there in three years, Ty is obviously at fault when Notre Dame players fail at basic football competency things like "snapping the football" and "blocking defenders".

It went the same way last season too. Before various big games ND was about to play, various posters here, on ND boards and blogs claimed in unison: "Charlie will have the troops ready to play! He'll have an NFL gameplan ready that college teams won't be able to defend." After getting blown out in said games, that narrative was unsurprisingly: "Ty's recruits let Charlie down." Charlie is one of those special coaches who will always have the troops ready to play... until they lose, in which case they were doomed from the start due to Ty's uncoachable recruits.

When you read this:

Ty Willingham Fact Sheet

...it's hilarious how many of these arguments for firing Willingham apply aptly to Weis. But in ND's fans minds, this is completely meaningless. Getting blown out 5 games in a row just means that "Returning to Glory" will have to wait a couple of more years. Weis will get the troops ready by 2011, no worries.

It's going to be comical watching ND fans strain for excuses once the last vestiges of Willingham's classes are gone, and Weis's signature accomplishments still only include a narrow loss to USC at home, beating a 7-5 Michigan team, and winning the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy numerous times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] DVault1

Dude, I take back every bad thing I ever said about you in Politics.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Do you really believe Quinn is better than Russell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:08 PM

lololol

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...he-white-flag/
Old 09-20-2007, 06:21 PM

The sad part is that people will not stop beating up on this team and there is nothing that I can say is worth while.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Do you really believe Quinn is better than Russell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:46 PM

One of Charlie's top recruits (so far) for the upcoming season will be featured on ESPN 2 tonight in a high school match up. The bad news is that it's a QB and I'm pretty sure Clausen will be there for another 3 years. The QB playing on ESPN 2 tonight is Dayne Crist he may just be ND's next Zach Frazier.