Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 11:43 PM

Default is this easy?

villain and I have been overbetting pots at each other a lot recently, and neither of us has been showing down vs the other much. I've been sniffing out his blocking bets and raising him off of them as well, so I'm sure he's a little frustrated at that.

[converter messed up this hand, so I’ll try to correct it manually]

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $24.65
UTG+1: $33.35
CO: $48.80
Button: $23.40
SB - Guruman: $21.35
BB: $10.55

(6 players) Guruman is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Pre-flop:
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Guruman calls $0.15 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.85)</font>, BB checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.1, 6 players)

Guruman checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $30</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman...</font>

I mean, he never wants his bet called and I've underrepresented my hand right? I think if he wanted me to get my stack in he'd lead out a blocking bet and shove over the top of a raise given our recent history. My issue is really less with him and more with the possibility of a flush draw behind me seeing 3-1 and getting frisky.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: is this easy?

umn...fold
Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 PM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

i think there must be something wrong with your converter because this makes no sense. he bet $30 into an unraised .85c pot. I also don't understand why you seem to think this bet is directed at you when there are 6 players to the flop.
if he is really insane and might do this with any two cards then go ahead and call. you have to be pretty sure that he is in fact insane.

also shouldn't the pot be $1.50 if there are 6 limpers????
Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 AM

I know what you're thinking. Does he have a set, two pair, or only a draw. Well, with all the excitement, I got to tell you, nobody really knows. But seeing as this is no-limit hold-em, and he can take your entire stack with this little 15-cent hand, you gotta ask yourself one question: do you feel lucky?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what you're thinking. Does he have a set, two pair, or only a draw. Well, with all the excitement, I got to tell you, nobody really knows. But seeing as this is no-limit hold-em, and he can take your entire stack with this little 15-cent hand, you gotta ask yourself one question, do you feel lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]
POTY.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:34 AM

Over the past couple months of seriously retooling my game, I've learned something that applies to this hand: Your opponents aren't really as sophisticated as they constantly seem to be, and you don't really need to be asking questions like this.

Yes, he could be trying to steal a pot, or he could have a better ace than you and not like the fact that there are four opponents ready to suck out on him with all of those draws, or he could have a monster and be thinking that with that many people in the pot, someone just has to have an ace that they don't want to fold. But none of that is really important to your decision. What is important is this:

You are facing a decision for your whole stack while out of position with a mediocre hand and two players left to act after you do.

This means fold. Yes, Villain could be making a big error that could win you a whole buy-in. But if he will do it now, he'll do it again later and hopefully you will be in a position to capitalize on it. This is not that time.

Really, I've learned that the key to the micros is to just sit back, play it really simple, and wait for the donkeys to screw up when I'm way ahead.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:35 AM

Hope you folded.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Over the past couple months of seriously retooling my game, I've learned something that applies to this hand: Your opponents aren't really as sophisticated as they constantly seem to be, and you don't really need to be asking questions like this.

Yes, he could be trying to steal a pot, or he could have a better ace than you and not like the fact that there are four opponents ready to suck out on him with all of those draws, or he could have a monster and be thinking that with that many people in the pot, someone just has to have an ace that they don't want to fold. But none of that is really important to your decision. What is important is this:

You are facing a decision for your whole stack while out of position with a mediocre hand and two players left to act after you do.

This means fold. Yes, Villain could be making a big error that could win you a whole buy-in. But if he will do it now, he'll do it again later and hopefully you will be in a position to capitalize on it. This is not that time.

Really, I've learned that the key to the micros is to just sit back, play it really simple, and wait for the donkeys to screw up when I'm way ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone memorize this last sentence please.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know what you're thinking. Does he have a set, two pair, or only a draw. Well, with all the excitement, I got to tell you, nobody really knows. But seeing as this is no-limit hold-em, and he can take your entire stack with this little 15-cent hand, you gotta ask yourself one question, do you feel lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]
POTY.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 AM

here's my problem,

that bet screams "don't call me". I mean screams it. Screams "scared of the flush draw."

I also had a specific history with this guy.

you guys are saying don't make big mistakes. Passing up clear opportunities to win stacks are big mistakes.

<font color="white">I called, everyone behind me folded, and villain had 2nd pr no kicker no draw. Then villain had no chips.

I already hear "you got lucky, don't do that ever again." but the fact is that</font> I don't think you need much of a read on a player to rule out big big hands and any draws here. that leaves a range that we're ahead of and a big pot there waiting for the taking. <font color="white">Villain made a huge and typical microNL mistake: turning a hand with value into a pure bluff. He also totally gave away his weakness with the size of his bet. I mean cmon, a set is NEVER going to shove into a $1 pot there.
</font>
Again, this guy was capable of blocking bets and postflop folds. Given that information he sure understands pot odds and would try to push flush draws out in that situation. Given his specific history with me he's likely to overbet the pot in doing so. Given the size of the overbet, he's likely to have a really crappy hand that absolutely does not want to be called.

I'm not trying to make it that complex. I think folding would make the thought process too complex because it would imply that villain is overbetting a big made hand and anticipating that I (or someone) would read that bet as weak and make the call with a lesser hand. IMO someone who overbets his stack into that micro pot is not on that level.

Those of you who advocated a fold, I have a couple of questions for you:

1)what specific range do you give villain here?
2)what's the worst hand you'll call with here?

thx!