Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 08-06-2007, 11:39 PM

Default the GOLDEN AGE of Reality TV is upon us!

I don't know if any of you has noticed, but there are THREE incredibly entertaining reality shows on these days, and they are all on VH1, believe it or not. They are:

Scott Baio is 45 and Single

Wow, what a great show. Scott Baio is thinking about getting married to his GF, but he wants to find out why he has always shut down in relationships before when they get to this point, so he hires a life coach to help him out and guide him...she makes him become celibate for 8 weeks while looking up old girlfriends and finding out what went wrong.

He also hangs out with a trio of friends - one of whom is the older brother from "The Wonder Years" and another is a complete douchebag who wants Scott to remain forever single so he can pickup his leftovers.

In the first few weeks, Scott has talked to, gotten advice from, and been insulted from famous ex-costars and ex-girlfriends alike: Henry Winkler, Erin Moran, Nicole Eggert, ex-Playmate and "Growing Pains" star Julie McCullough, a Penthouse Pet, etc.

Baio comes off as a bit of a prick, but still, as a guy who's real and one I actually like and can relate to, as we're both wondering why we've reached our mid-forties single and childless. It's pretty hilarious seing how he handles still being called "Chachie" or "Charles in Charge" after all these years.

Great show.

Rock of Love

This one's my guilty pleasure, as it's total crap, but entertaining crap! Brett Michaels, of 80s hair-band Poison fame, plays like The Bachelor and hosts a house=full of women who are all vying for his affections. The fact that every one of the women is a skanky rock&roll ho, is only the tip of the iceburg!

You know how in The Bachelor, the doofus hands out roses to the women he wants to stay? Well, Brett Michaels hands out VIP Badges, like at a concert and he's picking out which groupie he wants to have come backstage so he can bang her! Lots of catfights in this one, too.

The new one I just watched the first episode of, is The Pick-Up Artist, with some tool named Mystery who wears leopard print and motorcycle goggles. In it, he has 8 geeky losers with no game come to share a house so he can teach them the tricks of his trade. He also has two other PU Artists named Matador and J-Dog (no, really!) who are his helpers.

It's pretty funny seeing the losers try to hit up girls in a bar and then a bit of a revelation to see the three PU Artists work their magic on the room.

The first one was decent...we'll see how it continues...
Old 08-06-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: the GOLDEN AGE of Reality TV is upon us!

Watching pick-up artist right now. Saw that mystery dude on conan once...HUGE TOOL! Should be entertaining though. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 AM

Dom,

These have already been mentioned in the Summer TV thread, but there are enough crap-ass new reality shows coming out that I think they deserve their own thread.

I am SHOCKED that you liked Scott Baio's show. Wow, I watched a couple and thought it was just horrible start-to-finish. Near unwatchable.

I agree that Rock of Love is pretty sweet, but wow, I'd expect Bret Michaels to still get a much better looking group than that. Most are women I and most of my friends would turn down. Like, Rodeo, WTF? She's an old hag! And Magdalena not just sounds but LOOKS like a drag queen. Jes, however, wow, she is incredible.

The Two Coreys is another one that had such promise, but wow, completely unwatchable.

I just watched the new ones on VH1.

The Pickup Artist definitely has potential. Might suck, though, hard to tell so far. I don't think it's going to be as entertaining as Beauty and the Geek.

Mission Man Band looks pretty bad, but I'll give it one more shot.

The Rock Life, about Cisco Adler's band Whitestarr looks pretty ridiculous, but pretty sweet. I'll be watching because I'm jealous of even low-grade rock stars.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dom,

These have already been mentioned in the Summer TV thread, but there are enough crap-ass new reality shows coming out that I think they deserve their own thread.

I am SHOCKED that you liked Scott Baio's show. Wow, I watched a couple and thought it was just horrible start-to-finish. Near unwatchable.

I agree that Rock of Love is pretty sweet, but wow, I'd expect Bret Michaels to still get a much better looking group than that. Most are women I and most of my friends would turn down. Like, Rodeo, WTF? She's an old hag! And Magdalena not just sounds but LOOKS like a drag queen. Jes, however, wow, she is incredible.

The Two Coreys is another one that had such promise, but wow, completely unwatchable.

I just watched the new ones on VH1.

The Pickup Artist definitely has potential. Might suck, though, hard to tell so far. I don't think it's going to be as entertaining as Beauty and the Geek.

Mission Man Band looks pretty bad, but I'll give it one more shot.

The Rock Life, about Cisco Adler's band Whitestarr looks pretty ridiculous, but pretty sweet. I'll be watching because I'm jealous of even low-grade rock stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

hhahahahaha....I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Scott Baio show. It has everything, IMO. I love that he's allowing himself to look like a jerk at times...but he always comes off as honestly wanting to improve his outlook on marriage and commitment, even though it is obviously still out of his reach. The used-to-be-famous-and-successful costars of his are also great TV. I actually got to shoot Julie McCullough in a Playboy video back in the 90s and I had a huuuuuge crush on her...very sweet, if a tad nutty, girl. To see her still looking damn good at 40 is just cool.

I really love the little missions he's sent on, too...the daycare center, the dating service, the old couple, etc.

Obviously, I can also relate to his angst a little, too, so maybe that's it.

I watched the first few minutes of the rock group one and didn't get into it. Missed Man Band, on purpose!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is one of the best parts of the show, the women are pretty run down and skanky, or just flat out mannish and he goes on and on about how hot they. I dunno why, but I think its just soooo awesome.

I agree about Jes tho, her and mia are the only two on the show I would [censored] without a couple drinks in me
Old 08-07-2007, 07:01 AM

In general I hate reality shows, but I agree that Scott Baio's show is excellent and possibly the pinnacle of the form.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 AM

is that mark philippousis show any good? heard about it on PTI a couple of months ago but never watched it.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 AM

I'm not into the Scott Baio show. I tried watching it, but it just got too boring. Dom, in regards to your "prick" comment, I kind of agree. The only saving grace to his prickisness is that he seems very aware and accepting of his own washed-upness, which is somewhat redemeing.

I'm a big Rock of Love fan. I'm unashamed to say I was, and still am, a big Poison fan. Also, I have somewhat of a soft spot for the skanky stripper types. And, damn Jes is hot. That girl seriously rocks my party.

The jury is out on The Pickup Artist, but my hopes are high.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Al: "IMO this is one of the best parts of the show, the women are pretty run down and skanky, or just flat out mannish and he goes on and on about how hot they. I dunno why, but I think its just soooo awesome." Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree with all of this!

Yeti: Age of Love. I watched about 1/2 of an episode and it looked retarded. Some old hags and some stupid young chicks, none of which I could believe he'd actually date for any significant period.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is one of the best parts of the show, the women are pretty run down and skanky, or just flat out mannish and he goes on and on about how hot they. I dunno why, but I think its just soooo awesome.

I agree about Jes tho, her and mia are the only two on the show I would [censored] without a couple drinks in me

[/ QUOTE ]
Jes = oh man!
Mia = mama mia!
No love for Brandi M? She is [censored] smoking too. Rest suck. Lacey is gross, Magda is a beast, Rodeo was hysterical on a gross level. Heather = skank. Who am I missing here?