Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 07:41 AM

Default 2/4 FR, Blind-Defense with 44, Flop 1suited, Turn paires Top-Card

I think I played the following hand terrible, so I need advice with [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Villain is a 2/4 FR regular TAG and a little tricky. He attempts a lot of steals.

PokerStars 2.00/4.00 Limit Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> HandRecorder v0.9b

Stats
CO (19/10/2.29/28) (786h)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#FF0000">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#FF0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#FF0000">CO bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#FF0000">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB.

Reviewing this hand on my own, I guess, I should have called him down after the raise of the cbet (that could be easy a semibluff) and the turn pairing the top card (makes it less likely that he has something catched).
While I played the hand I thought, I'm ahead after the Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] turned, that's why I played it that aggressive and after he 3betted me, I thought he has a Q, so I thought the river was a valuebet. However, as said, I don't like my thoughts any more and think calling down him should be better, right? (Sure, not [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 08-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: 2/4 FR, Blind-Defense with 44, Flop 1suited, Turn paires Top-Card

I like the PF 3 bet against a CO raising TAG.

Flop - betting out is good, but when you get raised after you 3 bet PF you may want to note that. I would call the raise because I would not want to b/f the flop after I 3-bet PF.

I would have either c/f or b/f the Turn, as played release on the Turn to the 3 bet. Pick a better spot. You have shown strength from the beginning and he keeps pushing back. Take a hint.

Peace,
Mygtar
Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 AM

I like the preflop 3bet here; seeing as he tries to steal too frequently, it's definitely +ev to pop him back when he potentially has Jx, Qx, Kx, Ax (or other even worse holdings) here.

Flop and the turn smell like either AA, KK, AK, or AQ with a heart in his hand. On the flop, he's raising into 3 hearts and your previous 3-bet. Since you're not folding to a raise, he's probably raising for value if the heart comes.

Regardless of the turn, after he raises the flop, I would call down for a showdown.

Like I said, the way he played it, I'm thinking you're up against AA or KK with a heart in his hand. You're probably beat, but the pot's big, and you've got a heart in case he's donking off.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop and the turn smell like either AA, KK, AK, or AQ with a heart in his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't put him on these hands as he did not 4bet preflop (allthough many guys only call with AK/AQ pf)
Old 08-02-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the preflop 3bet here; seeing as he tries to steal too frequently, it's definitely +ev to pop him back when he potentially has Jx, Qx, Kx, Ax (or other even worse holdings) here.

Flop and the turn smell like either AA, KK, AK, or AQ with a heart in his hand

[/ QUOTE ]

furyion, you are putting him on a big hand way too quickly here.

-McGee
Old 08-02-2007, 11:35 AM

Just as a note.. the reason I put him on these hands is because he is notably 1. tricky, and 2. tag. It's sometimes worth sacrificing a fourth bet pf if you can get in an extra big bet (as the villain has done) on later streets.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just as a note.. the reason I put him on these hands is because he is notably 1. tricky, and 2. tag. It's sometimes worth sacrificing a fourth bet pf if you can get in an extra big bet (as the villain has done) on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't deny that he wouldn't necessarily cap all his big hands preflop, but you first acknowledge how wide his range is (when you said that you agree with the preflop 3bet), and then you make it far too narrow based on just the flop. Those big hands are certainly within his range, but he could be doing this with a whole host of hands.

-McGee
Old 08-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Aggression is good when used appropriately. 3betting PF against a known stealer is good. But you opened yourself up to be abused here. Stealing is one thing, but a TAG even a tricky one isn't going to hand out this many bets just to defend his steal on this board.

When he raises you on the flop, either he has a hand that beats 44, has a draw, or feels you are on a draw.

Checking the turn then lets the draw draw, or the better hand value bet you. Donking the turn may be a better way to control the number of bets going in, and thwarting a free card raise on the flop.

As played, if the river is a value bet then surely the river call is not a value call.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:38 AM

honestly I think OP is spraying chips here.
44 I usually just call pre and look to c/r a good flop, the pot is already HU and when you 3bet you're setting yourself up to play a marginal hand OOP in a bigger pot.
b/c flop is tough because you're either behind or needing to fade a lot of cards and you don't know which, I would probably fold to flop raise.
turn c/r is spew, if you have to see showdown just call down.
calling turn 3-bet and river raise is burning money.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:51 AM

wow, i just saw this for the first time, and it's total spew