Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 AM

Default Zeitgeist part I - \"The Greatest Story Ever Told\" (Christianity,et al)

ZEITGEIST, The Movie - Official Release - Part 1 of 3:

"The Greatest Story Ever Told"

This section explores the little known foundations of the Cult of Equinoctial Christolatry (Christianity) which, unannounced to most, rests in the astrotheological belief systems of the ancient world.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75979627863972

The full movie ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5331&hl=en ) has received over 330K views in about two weeks.

I think the people here would be interested in their take on the evolution of the Christian religion.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Zeitgeist part I - \"The Greatest Story Ever Told\" (Christianity,et

Do you have independent proof of the claims about the God Horus? Specifically it's claimed that he shared many of the tales of Jesus. While it's true that Jesus shared some mythology with other Gods/legends of the time, the Horus Wikipedia page makes no mention of these with regard to Horus, and in fact the story appears to be inconsistent with the video.

BTW this led me to wikipedia page on Judaism, and I'm surprised to find

- The Torah barely mentions Jesus
- The references therein are subject to debate, and downright inconsistent (i.e. it mentions a stoning)
- In the 1500s, the evil pig of a pope issued a Fatwah (ok, a papal bull), which censored a whole heap of Jewish texts and removed references unflattering to Christianity. It makes we wonder even more about the existence of Jesus, as the historical references to Jesus are ridiculously scant and suspect, all survive as copies of copies written by Christian scholars, and the Church underwent systematic attempts to remove material damaging to the bible's account.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism's_view_of_Jesus
Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Zeitgeist part I - \"The Greatest Story Ever Told\" (Christianity,et

I'm about halfway through and did the standard and fruitless wikipedia fact-checking as well. Can anyone provide any sources for where this information comes from? I find it fascinating, and would love to point people to it, but not if their claims are unfounded.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:04 PM

Here is the thread we had about the jesus <-> horus connection:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=9675622

of course it turned into a discussion about something else, but here were my responses to that thread.

[ QUOTE ]
As the Egyptologist says: "This theory is not held by anyone in the actual field."

Another states:
[ QUOTE ]

Gordon,
Better be careful !
>Horus was born of the virgin Isis on Dec. 25<
Horus was born from Isis, having been fathered post mortem by Osiris. I don’t think Isis is a “virgin” in Egyptian religion, in the manner that husbandless Asiatic goddesses such as Anat, Baal’s spouse and mother, were. I don’t remember reading that Horus was born on Dec. 25th and I’m sure this would have been highlighted if it had been the case ! It’s true that early representations in Egypt of Maria and Jesus are sometimes impossible to distinguish from Isis + Horus.
>He was a child teacher, and baptised at 30
He had twelve disciples
No idea where you got this from.
>He performed miracles and raised El-Azar from dead<
I assume this is an allusion to Lazarus. Horus was a god and all gods have supernatural powers and perform miracles. By El-Azar you must mean Osiris : this god was given back his fertility after he died, by Isis, so that he could father Horus. But in the ritual the eldest son who does the funerary cult of his father is called “Horus”, so that one could say that during the cult Horus “raises Osiris from the dead”. Astonishingly, Horus is thus shown watching the scene of his own fathering by the dead Osiris and Isis as a kite.
>He walked on water<
No idea where you got this from. Egyptian gods are shown navigating on the waters of Heaven, and Horus as a hunter in the marshes.
>He was transfigured on the Mount<
The ascension towards “Heaven” on a podium with steps was an important phase of Egyptian rituals, and indeed represented becoming a (celestial) deity. This was probably also the case in the Levant, where gods dwelled on top of mountains or where artificial mounds were built associated with temples. Whether there’s a parallel with the crucifixion on Golgotha, I don’t know, but it’s true that Christian religion has taken some symbols from pagan Levantine religions, so it’s possible.
>He was crucified and resurrected<
Maybe Attis and Adonis were, but I don’t think that Osiris was crucified. He was in a way resurrected though, as with so many seasonal deities in the Near East. IMHO the origin of the Christian resurrection idea must be sought in Phoenicia rather than in Egypt.
>He was the Good Shepherd<
AFAIK this was Osiris, as Andjti, not Horus.
He was the fisher, lamb, lion (Ichthys)
Horus is often represented on a boat, spearing a hippopotamus, a crocodile or a turtle, all representations of his antagonist deity Seth. Horus as a lamb doesn’t ring a bell, but the Ram / Goat of Mendes (Ba-neb-Djedet) was a form of Osiris. There are representations of Horus and Seth as lions. Osiris may have been assimilated with a fish deity, but linking this with the Christian ichthus (Ięsous Christos Theou Uios Sôtęr, “Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Savior”) is a bold leap !
>He was "Iusa" son of "Ptah", the father<
Iusaas was a goddess, a personification linked with the masturbation thanks to which the Creator god Atum managed to father the first couple of deities, although he was alone. The name is hard to translate but could mean something like “As soon as she existed, she was already great”. The son of Ptah (“the Fashioner” rather than “the Father” ?) wasn’t Horus really, but Nefertum, a nice-smelling regenerated god represented by a flower.
JD

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not know the religious affiliation of these two people, but i'm guessing JD is probably atheist?

[/ QUOTE ]

===

[ QUOTE ]
Also from your link:
[ QUOTE ]

Reactions of Egyptologists:

Ward Gasque, a volunteer book reviewer for Amazon.com surveyed twenty contemporary Egyptologists. He asked them about the origins of Jesus' name, the relationship between Horus and Jesus, whether both experienced a virgin birth, and whether the Egyptian religion considered Hourus to be an incarnation of God.

Ten responded, They agreed:
bullet Jesus' name is a Greek form of a very common Semitic name Jeshu'a, which is normally translated into English as Joshua.
bullet There is no evidence that Horus was born of a virgin, that he had twelve disciples, or that he was considered incarnation of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but i'm going to watch the video now and see what interesting things it talks about.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the people here would be interested in their take on the evolution of the Christian religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at the first few minutes. We've already done this. See Tektonics.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm about halfway through and did the standard and fruitless wikipedia fact-checking as well. Can anyone provide any sources for where this information comes from? I find it fascinating, and would love to point people to it, but not if their claims are unfounded.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/sources.htm
http://zeitgeistmovie.com/clarifications.htm

And in an email the author(s) sent around:
Otherwise, I am working fast to get a wealth of supporting information / documentation on my website. Specifically, an interactive transcript of the entire work with sources to support every claim. I am also soon going to have a DIVX and IPOD download and an "Audio Book" (Sound File) of the music and narration for download as well.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Interesting, but not nearly as interesting as Part III
Old 07-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Any responses of people who watched?

I thought it explained what we see around us very well. I really see Christianity and related cults as sun-worshippers, and worshippers of the constellations and the changing seasons.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- The Torah barely mentions Jesus

[/ QUOTE ]

The Torah does not mention Jesus at all. There is one story about him in the Gemara.

As i understand it, Jesus, a known scholar, went into the temple where he was told the full name of god for prayer use. To avoid the typical instant amnesia that occurs when one exits the temple, Jesus wrote the name on paper and sowed the paper into his skin. After leaving the temple he used the name to fly and was only stopped by a Cohen Gadol who flew above him and urinated so the impurity forced Jesus to descend.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the thread we had about the jesus <-> horus connection:

[/ QUOTE ]

Radio interview with the author where he elaborates on these things and his sources:

http://truthorlies.org/06-28-07-Hour-2.mp3

Viewcount of the movie: 530K.