Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 05-23-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Trying to improve at stud tournies

Is there anyway to put villian on fh at 5th street? Should I raise on 3rd street? Any folding before 7th street? On 4th street I think ahead because I have seen plenty of chasing by single lower pairs in Pokerstars tourneys.

Tournament - - Level VI (100/200), Ante 20, Bring-In 30 (converter)

Seat 1: 3,374
Seat 2: 3,363
Seat 3: 5,033
Seat 4: 5,876
Seat 5: 3,142
Seat 6: 713
Hero: 1,190

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street (3.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.60 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (4.60 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (6.60 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (6.60 BB)
Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Trying to improve at stud tournies

Fold 5th. You will still have almost 5 big bets, which is critically short, but just enough to make a comeback with. Now you are just chasing very few outs - hearts are semi-dead after 4th and one of your kings is gone - and that is hoping that Seat 5 hasn't already filled up. It's very likely that he started with a small pair in the hole.

3rd and 4th street are fine.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 AM

What was the buyin for this MTT? At the lower buyins you will find it impossible, during the early rounds, to put a player on a hand. I could fill this page with nothing but the strangest plays you have ever seen.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 AM

This is close. 3rd and 4th are played correctly imo. However, on 5th the pot isnt that big. You have a flush draw and he has a full house draw. Fold.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 AM

buyin was 3.30 field probably wasnt greater than 50 to begin, but this is 85 minutes into tourney.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Here's another vote for folding on 5th street...and I don't even think it's close. All the reasons have already been cited.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:19 PM

I agree with the others. This appears to be an clear laydown.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:28 PM

I would probably raise third street in a cash game. In a tournament where you're a little short and several people have limped, I think you have to just call.

Bet double on fourth and hope that they all go away. When JJ calls, he should have at least two pair. Not that people always have what they should in a $3 tournament. On fifth, you have an easy, easy fold. There's a pretty good chance that the other guy is full already. If he's at all decent, he will be. Even if he has two random hole cards, he has a good chance of filling up anyway. Overall, the chance of his having or making a full house is about 40% if he's playing every hand for a double bet on fourth, which he probably isn't. Meanwhile, a bunch of your hearts are gone. By my calculations, you've got a 26% chance of making a flush on fifth street. So if you're up against random hole cards, you'll win about .26 x .40 or about 10% of the time. And it's probably significantly worse than that. The calls on fifth and sixth are pretty horrible.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:13 PM

Put me in with the field of you should have folded on 5th, you're drawing to five outs that may not even get you the pot in the end.