Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: UFC 70 - Free on SpikeTV

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood why people say that the UFC is boring. I find it quite interesting. I've never seen any of Pride though. I find the Pride show on FSN to be totally unwatchable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much rather watch PRIDE than boxing, which I'd much rather watch than UFC. The open-ness of the ring in PRIDE in my opinion makes for a lot more striking and big hits, as opposed to the octagon in which guys just get tired, ram up against the fence and grapple on the ground. I find slow, long matches boring, and that's usually what UFC seems to provide most times I watch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you watch anything other than pride's fsn show? they grapple as much as ufc fighters.

watch k-1 if you wanna see a kickboxing match
Old 04-21-2007, 03:29 PM

it's funny to see how popular MMA is getting considering how much slower the fights seem to be getting. so many fights are going to the ground and the fighters are taking less risks. A prime example of this is Josh Koscheck vs. Diego Sanchez from UFC 69. It should have been a great rematch from the Ultimate Fighter series but instead it was a snoozefest as neither fighter wanted to be the aggressor. Most fights are becoming amazing technical shows but are incredibly boring to watch.

I think the UFC will really take off if they start utilizing the red card rules of Pride where if the ref thinks you're stalling he can issue you a red card and 10% of your $$ is taken away. Also maybe have a few ring matches, it would be easily marketable, the octagon is so cheesy and can definitely give an advantage to one style of fighter.

lastly dana white needs to stop saying that "mma isn't getting more popular, ultimate fighting is." what a prick.

oh and anyone that doesn't enjoy watching grappling matches check out K-1. It's more popular in Japan than Pride. It's kind of like the superbowl over there. Watch fights with Ernesto Hoost, Peter Aerts, Buakaw, Remy Bonjasky, and Mike Zambidis. Best strikers in the world, no contest.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:04 PM

I am looking forward to the fights. I love the UFC, I get all the fights, its a rip off sometimes, but still fun. This one's free, not the greatest card, but I like the Count, dedicated, skilled, smart, just like you should want to be as a poker player. I think I am easily amused, either that or you guys really complain a lot.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:11 PM

I finished watching this in the UK a while ago. One word:

Old 04-21-2007, 10:37 PM

um, wow
Old 04-21-2007, 10:54 PM

what's the ummm wow about? my roommates have snakes on a plane in instead of the fights
Old 04-21-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's the ummm wow about? my roommates have snakes on a plane in instead of the fights

[/ QUOTE ]

bisping put on a serious beat down. he looked great
Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most fights are becoming amazing technical shows but are incredibly boring to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like lay-and-pray-fests. Amazing technical shows aren't boring--see Sakuraba-Newton (Pride 3) for a real "amazing technical" fight.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the UFC will really take off if they start utilizing the red card rules of Pride where if the ref thinks you're stalling he can issue you a red card and 10% of your $$ is taken away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Judging is a problem too, though. The way fights are judged really encourages grinding out decisions instead of trying to finish the fight.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:27 PM

Blah, Arlovski/Werdum fight was a snorefest.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:33 PM

I tuned in about 15 minutes go and saw the last 3 minutes of the second round of some fight involving somebody named Orvlovski or something. It sucked.