S. Alexander(if he plays) @ KC 3 17.65%
T. Henry Vs. Hou 8 47.06%
M. Jones-Drew @ Phi 0 0%
F. Taylor @ Phi 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: ****Official 2007 NY Mets NL East Champs Thread****

[ QUOTE ]

I don't expect him to just be good. I expect him to be an all-star.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean in the future right? I don't think thats a realistic expectation out of him this year. I don't expect any rookie to come in and become an all-star. Can he be a solid staple in the rotation? Yeah.

All I want out of Perez/Pelfrey is ~.500. Let Glavine/Maine/Hernandez do enough to win on those nights.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:29 PM

Hello Mets fans, looking forward to another exciting season!

My one big hope for this season is that we don't give away Milledge or Fernando Martinez for some mediocre starting pitcher with not much time left on his contract in a mid-season panic move. Don't rule it out at all! Willie has just a little too much faith in Endy and Shawn Green for my liking. I'd glad to see Pelfrey get his shot this year instead of having to suffer Chan Ho Park or Sele or David Williams or some similar nightmare. I don't think Pelfrey is going to pan out to be a legitimate ace but I think it's reasonable to hope for a slight upgrade from what Benson was when he was here. No matter what happens, let's go mets!

James
Old 03-28-2007, 11:03 PM

I have tickets to 15 games this year, so ill be seeing alot of Mets this year. Heres to hopping Pelfrey sticks and Green gets benched.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 AM

Is it Sunday yet?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sunday night can't come soon enough!

It looks like Willie is going to tweak the order a bit this year and bat Wright in the 2-hole. I love this idea, not that Lo Duca was bad last year, but getting Wright those extra at-bats should hopefully be $.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this move. Lo Duca was perfect last year as the 2-guy. Wright struck out considerably more than LoDuca last year. Although Wright will get some additional at bats, the lineup will be much less balanced, unless Green and Alou (or their replacements) really exceed expectations. And without Wright batting behind him, Delgado will have no protection.

The only way this move makes sense to me is if LoDuca actualy starts off much, much worse than last year.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sunday night can't come soon enough!

It looks like Willie is going to tweak the order a bit this year and bat Wright in the 2-hole. I love this idea, not that Lo Duca was bad last year, but getting Wright those extra at-bats should hopefully be $.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this move. Lo Duca was perfect last year as the 2-guy. Wright struck out considerably more than LoDuca last year. Although Wright will get some additional at bats, the lineup will be much less balanced, unless Green and Alou (or their replacements) really exceed expectations. And without Wright batting behind him, Delgado will have no protection.

The only way this move makes sense to me is if LoDuca actualy starts off much, much worse than last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if Lo Duca all of a sudden has a power streak at the plate (I'm assuming he's being moved to the 5-spot), in which case you wouldn't mind having him there.

But since that probably won't happen, I'm going to agree with you. He was a great fit batting second.

[ QUOTE ]
A few questions for Mets fans (fantasy purposes):

1) How long are they going to stick with Shawn Green?
2) What chance does Milledge have of becoming an everyday player before the All-Star break?
3) What are the expectations of Oliver Perez?
4) Will Beltran steal 25+ bases this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Hopefully not too long. I think it'll be a couple of months before the Mets give up on him though.

2) They're the same as the chance that one of the three starting outfielders either gets injured or dramatically underperformed. It's pretty much 50/50. He's got the tools, but there's just no room now.

3) Oliver Perez is the model of inconsistency. He has the potential and skill to be an All-star caliber pitcher, possibly an ace pitcher on other baseball teams. However, he can also end up being a fifth starter at best. If he gets an ERA below 4.00 this year, I would be surprised. And I'm expecting at bare minimum 150 Ks, but he can definitely get above 200.

4) If Beltran keeps healthy, it's doable. It depends how often he is sent on a base stealing attempt.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 AM

very happy to see this thread up...

a lot of question marks in the rotation, like someone said, perez is a huge crapshoot, hopefully peterson can fix him...

i'm looking forward to seeing pelfrey...

also, i hope green gets sent to the bench, the sooner the better, though i can't stand milledge...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:24 AM

I'm not sure why everyone is ripping into Green. He will be batting 7(8?) in the lineup. It's not like he needs to hit .330 with 30+ home runs. I'd rather see him do well and the Mets get solid production out of right field. We all know Green isn't the long term fix here, there are a bunch of Minor League outfielders chompin at the bit wanting that position. They are the future, let Green, hopefully, produce now.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why everyone is ripping into Green. He will be batting 7(8?) in the lineup. It's not like he needs to hit .330 with 30+ home runs.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are ripping him because we're afraid he'll hit something like .260, with virtually no power, which is unacceptable for a corner outfielder.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Don't forget that Green is also hideous defensively in the outfield. Absolutely horrible.