Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods 2-5 NL

Call, nobody folds anything in live poker if they can beat top pair. And fold preflop, raising isn't profitable with your stack.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:32 AM

Thanks jloc, I don't post here very often and TWP's responses don't really make me want to come back . . .

The main thing that I realize about this hand is that it's tough to play draws and suited connectors with less than a full buy-in; we're very rarely going to flop the nuts, and we're going to have a tough time pushing anyone off of any sort of made hand when we get a draw.

This is certainly the type of flop I was hoping for - the villain here has not seen me get out of line yet and probably puts me on a strong hand preflop. His raise on the flop could be a stack-a-donk flopped set (which it was, me being the donk) but it also could be a feeler to see whether I had AK/jj/1010. Because I knew I had 8 clean outs on the flop, I decided to push in on the flop, figuring that he would fold his hand about a quarter or a third of the time

This board really hit very few hands:
QQ - which probably would have been good for a repop PF
AQ/KQ - despite my tight image, he's still going to have to call here 95% of the time
66/44

And I think a decent amount of the time - maybe 25 - 30 percent of the time at least - he's trying this cute raise with a mid pair, weak queen, or a random 6 or a 4. Villain plays a lot of hands, and plays them aggressively.

So, assuming that I'm going to induce a fold 30 percent of the time with a shove, and draw to the winner when called about 30 percent of the time, is it still a +EV play?

fwiw, I pushed, he called with 666, river came A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], no help on river [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Back to 1-2 I guess.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 PM

scat,

sorry if you didn't like my responses because they weren't warm and fuzzy. but the best line once you bet the flop and get raised is to call. then to check the turn and call if you have odds to draw out, folding otherwise. he will NOT fold 30% of the time to a push. you are throwing money away by pushing. best of luck at 1/2.

- TWP
Old 12-28-2006, 12:43 PM

Scatt,

TWP's responses are very good for the most part. I actually was complimenting his posts not ridiculing them. The reason he gave one word answers is because this hand plays fairly straight forward. With given stack sizes/reads you have minimal to no wiggle room.

The problem with making this hand a math equation is that you have spent little time at the table and from the sound of it have spent just as little time with your opponent. Add to that, that you 'are taking a shot' or playing higher then normal and you really can't be too confident in your %'s.

Then their is the whole, I need to c-bet thing going on here. As I said in my last post, c/c is a much better fit for these stacks. His minraise has to raise flags. Combine that with the fact that he probably has minimal FE since you're so short, and it makes his raise seem that much stronger.

You SHOULD mind playing giving a 'donkish image' because that means that most likely you are playing like one in order to give it off.

Buy in for more then 60BB OR sit back and play straight forward ABC poker until you win a hand or two and accumalate a stack where you can afford to mix it up. And just because you do mix it up, doesn't justify having to go all the way with the hand. You planted the seed. You raised preflop, c/c the flop and c/f the turn. Now you look weak. Wait for a nice hand and repeat. You'd be suprised how loose peoples calls will be thinking you won't have much.

Even if you want to buy in short, atleast have another buyin in your pocket. You can't have it both ways. Play loose/give off donk image/throw chips around to set something up later without having any money to do it with.