Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Day 2 Hand vs. Pro at WPF

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, I am Sisyphus.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that the button call by a big stack name pro, is likely based on the fact that he has a read that OP has AQ+, 99+, AK, JJ+, and can take advantage of that knowledge to steal the pot or outplay OP.

98s doesn't play that much worse than AQo allin preflop versus a typical calling range, and it is a lot easier to play a flop with 98s. You are thinking you need implied odds to get paid off with a straight, flush, trips, or 2-pair, but often you make a draw you can go allin with.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is there are easier ways to go about getting chips. When you raise preflop with these types of hands, at these types of tables, with these types of stacks, you often find yourself in exactly the situation OP found himself in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, I am Sisyphus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Position.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:24 PM

The benefits of raising 98s from 2nd position with a rock image fairly late in a major tournament are 1) you are likely to steal the blinds or take the pot with a cbet, 2) people will completely misread what you have, 3) you don't have a boderline decision on a reraise.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:44 PM

unless thebeat plays totally differently online than live, you have 2 outs
Old 11-15-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless thebeat plays totally differently online than live, you have 2 outs

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you assume he only calls preflop with TT-QQ? Or would he never take a stab on the turn when the preflop raiser checked twice?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:06 PM

I'd much rather be raising 89 suited then A10 or maybe AJ in this position. Especially with the rapidly increasing structure of this tournament, I had to maintain my chipstack and steal. From my experience throughout this tourney, when someone raised from late position, people behind gave a lot more thought about calling/reraising, but early position raises pretty much got a lot more respect. In truth, I was not very concerned about getting reraised here as no one at the table was reraising an EP raiser light.

Most of the time I was figuring I can just cbet a flop and take it down, but this flop gave me a lot more difficulty, because I had no idea about Giordano's post flop play (if the BB had a hand, he was betting it on the flop). If TheBeat floated at all, or would try to raise me off the hand, I would feel uncomfortable putting any more chips in the pot.

Also, on the turn, I don't think he's really committed to call my all in with any hand. If he folds on the turn, he's still left with over a 100k stack, if he loses the hand, he's essentially crippled.

I'll post more thoughts later, but I am learning a bunch of MTT insight from this thread, so I'll continue to absorb the wisdom first.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:28 PM

tell us how it all ended...i'm curious
Old 11-15-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am learning a bunch of MTT insight from this thread, so I'll continue to absorb the wisdom first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not what this forum is for [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 PM

Default RESULTS

Giordano thouhgt for about 2 minutes before folding. He took a while to make any decision, but this one seemed particuliarly long for him. He could have definitely been hollywooding, but it was a pretty good act if he was.

Here are some more thoughts about this hand from my perspective at the time. I felt like 1010 was really the only hand I was worried about that might call me here. My guess was he was going to definetely reraise me with QQ-AA. At the time I didn't have much of a read on him since he was moderately new to the table, so this was the rest of my reasoning:

If he had air, whatever, he folds.

If he's got a fullhouse or a 7 (I thought a 7 was highly unlikely), then I'm done.

If he's tight enough to not reraise with 1010 or JJ, then he might be tight enough to fold those hands here figuring I have an overpair or 99.

Or maybe he's loose enough to have 88, 66 or 55 and look me up thinking I've got some sort of hand like AK of hearts.

Basically, I felt my play was a value bluff. The more he thought, the more I felt like he had an underpair of some sort.

However, I wound up playing with him for a lot more on day 2, and my impression of his play changed a lot. I didn't find him to be very agressive at all. My impression of his play differs from Cornell Fiji a bit as I think it's a legit possibility that he had 1010-JJ here, cause TheBeat seemed pretty tight.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:49 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
My impression of his play differs from Cornell Fiji a bit as I think it's a legit possibility that he had 1010-JJ here, cause TheBeat seemed pretty tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding