Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Brag: I finally beat Linley\'s Dungeon Crawl.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel a great disturbance in the force. As if thousands of hours of productivity will be lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, a new addict!

I just killed off a 26th level Ghoul Fighter through stupidity(those of you who are experienced with Crawl know how tragic that is)... can't believe it. He could have easily "beat" the game as is, but I wanted to explore some of the tougher areas in the game that I avoided in my first victory for fear of dying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume there is no saving? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2006, 12:32 AM

You can save, but you can't restore - once you die, that's it. The saving's only there so you can sleep [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff W, I hate you. I've been playing this for a few days and it's SOO addicting. I've only really been trying (and killing off mercilessly) human fighters. I imagine it only gets better (worse??) when you start playing around with other races/classes.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:46 AM

is there a command list anywhere? what about a detailed description of the races/classes?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there a command list anywhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hit "?" in-game. They're all there.

[ QUOTE ]
what about a detailed description of the races/classes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Crawl.txt in the Crawl directory.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I imagine it only gets better (worse??) when you start playing around with other races/classes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, some races are so fundamentally different from the others that it completely changes the way you have to play the game. Examples:

Ghoul: Start out completely incompetent with no skills in useful weapons and only a death shroud(robe), their permanent hit points rot away for the entire game and you have to eat raw flesh to restore them, though eating raw flesh also heals you, and they have tons of useful immunities for the late game. One of my personal favorites, but I recommend you don't try them because they're very hard to get started.

Naga: Slow movement, very limited armour, very stealthy, Start with Poison Spit which rocks everything up until you get to poison resistant monsters--basically they're an assassin race, but their best class is Warper IMO, because starting with blink makes up for their inability to run away.

Spriggan: Very fast(they can run away from just about anything in the game), very stealthy, poor aptitude for attack magic, fighting(the skill--increases damage bonuses on weapons and hit points), but they are good with enchantments, transmuting, evocations(some Spriggan classes start with a rod of striking) and other subtle skills. They excel at sneakiness and hit&run tactics.

Troll: Brute fighters. Absolutely terrible at everything except they're excellent at Unarmed Combat and Fighting and pretty good with Maces. They have innate regeration that is much faster than the other races, but they have a much bigger appetite than other races. Luckily they can eat flesh even when they're not hungry or starving(this is a great ability that might not be obvious to newbies...but food powers useful things like berserk, invocations and spells so being able to eat until engorged is a big advantage).

I could go on, but I'll let you figure out the rest for yourself [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2006, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume there is no saving? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can save your game, but death is permanent(when you save, the program exits).
Old 07-14-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, they're not. I found Ctrl+O (auto-explore) when I was browsing some of the links you gave above. Are there any other hidden commands that you know of? I use Ctrl+O a lot!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, they're not. I found Ctrl+O (auto-explore) when I was browsing some of the links you gave above. Are there any other hidden commands that you know of? I use Ctrl+O a lot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ctrl+O is on the second screen... if you hit '?' and then spacebare you'll see it second from the top on the left.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ctrl+O is on the second screen... if you hit '?' and then spacebare you'll see it second from the top on the left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm using the tile patch of Crawl and it doesn't list that command. It also doesn't list the stash commands. What do they do?
Old 07-14-2006, 06:41 AM

First, ASCII>Tiles.

Ctrl-F lets you search for items that contain a keyword that you specify. So Ctrl-F, keyword: enchant weapon will return the whereabouts of all the enchant weapon I, II and III scrolls in the dungeon(if you've ided them of course...). There are further commands you can use to examine the items or travel to their locations(these will be obvious once you use Ctrl-F).

Ctrl-G is another good one. Ctrl-G, then an abbreviation for the dungeon branch(Main Dungeon is D) and then the number of the level you want will take you there automatically(similar to Ctrl-O).

One other command it took me a long time to figure out was '='. When you 'Z'ap a spell, 'f'ire a weapon, throw a projectile, 'z'ap a wand, etc, you can press = to select a target instead of just using the directional key. You should learn all the targetting tactics. Example:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>. . . . # #
. . . # # g
. . @ . g .
# # # # #</pre><hr />

You can target a wand of fire(or any kind of bolt spell or wand etc) at the right most goblin and you will nail them both.

Another neat trick:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre># # # # #
. . @ g O
# # # # #
</pre><hr />

You can 'f'ire or 't'hrow a poisoned needle and then target '=' the Ogre. You will miss most of the time and take some small damage from the goblin, but you will hit the Ogre a few times eventually(and you'll accidentally hit the goblin as well) and the poison will wear O down or even kill him with little risk.