Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-30-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: How many 85 year olds...

Another complicating factor is that there aren't very many people who survive to 85 years. This fact alone indicates that the combatants have already demonstrated that they are both tough as nails and wicked lucky. It's like a survivorship bias. On the flipside, a majority of them are probably women - which I guess would be easier to defeat.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM

My grandmother is 85, still mobile and quite agile. She's also insane. My grandfather was 85, and pre-cancer he could was still healthy enough to do 10 mile walks, strong enough to lift a 10 year old, and quick enough to tease dogs.

You don't need too many like that before you're in real trouble. I was at bingo tonight and a good proportion of the ancient crowd quite sprightly.

I say the real number for most people is about 1/2 their estimate.

85 year olds are old enough to know they don't want to die. 5 year olds probably haven't grasped that.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:13 PM

my grandfather is 77 and runs like 6 miles everyday and is completely "with it." a lot of people are stereotyping old people a bit too much. Quite a few 85 year olds still function as if they were 50. Sure they might die of a heart attack any day, but not every single one of them would break their hip from falling down. For example my 77 year old grandfather was changing a light bulb and fell of of the ladder he was on and he was just like ow, and then finished the job.

Even my other grandfather, who is much frailer and in poorer health fell off of a roof about 5 years ago and was pretty much just fine.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has nobody here heard of thing called old man strength?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are thinking of old man smell...this should be taken into consideration in the racketball court scenario...
Old 12-01-2007, 03:32 PM

problem is that 85 year old men vary in strength alot more than 5 yr olds. like i bet there are some 85 yr old men who could just beat the [censored] out of u.

change this to 93 and i think we can start kicking some serious ass.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
85 year olds are smarter too, so they could plan and stuff. Or at least some of them could. You could have the guys with weak bodies and good brains directing hordes of the demented but freakishly strong

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this will be a key factor. They will have a very organized attack and will not be picked off one at a time. This and "dad-muscles" will more than offset their diminished ability to recover from injury. However, I think the difference in fighting ability between 85 year old men and women is probably much greater than between 5 year old boys and girls. In fact, the 5 year old girls might physically be the best fighters of the group. I assume we're still fighting an equal mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm just imagining the Brock Lesnar from your avatar reiterate this post out loud and almost rolling on the floor
Old 12-01-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gang fight between a group of 85 year olds and a group of 5 year olds. Enclosed area with a concrete floor and cinderblock walls, no weapons, at least 50 participants on each side. At what ratio of 85 year olds to 5 year olds would the outcome of the fight be even money?

[/ QUOTE ]

im still curious what most people think about this scenario
Old 12-01-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gang fight between a group of 85 year olds and a group of 5 year olds. Enclosed area with a concrete floor and cinderblock walls, no weapons, at least 50 participants on each side. At what ratio of 85 year olds to 5 year olds would the outcome of the fight be even money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking a ratio of at least 5 to 1, so maybe 250 5 year olds vs. 50 85 year olds would be an even money matchup.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 PM

you could take a fair few just by pushing them over . I say 15 then the stench takes over.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 PM

I think my answer lies somewhere between 100-300.

Pushing them over and tripping them would yield great results while expending little energy.

I think I'd be able to keep going until my fists went numb, or I passed out from hunger or thirst. The thought of this is quite disturbing.

I think if you make the age 100, I could take all of them. All of them on the planet, with little effort.

70 year olds would yield a much, much lower number. Maybe like 20. Chr*st, Jack Nicholson is 70, to put it in perspective. I don't think he goes down too easily.