Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-01-2007, 12:54 PM

Default \"Atheism for kids\"

http://www.christianstogether.net/Pu....aspx?id=98990

Well the faithful may have a point here, if not a weak one as usual. Is the objection here that youngsters might be exposed to contradictory ideas? Then bring it on!

The sad fact is these ideas are promulgated largely because, at a young age, children are scared into believing whatever loony notions their parents happen to hold. This occurs, it is fair to say, in a high percentage of your typical household throughout the world and converts are a relatively small percentage of the remainder.

We need better ways to teach our kids, give them critical thinking skills that dust away these ridulous historical and scientific claims while at the same time making them better future citizens. As it is, if you get them believing in invisible all-powerful sky monsters, it is no wonder so many grow up gullible to policial, social and media-driven trash. It's just one of the many damanging after effects oh ye faithful generate in their efforts.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: \"Atheism for kids\"

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.christianstogether.net/Pu....aspx?id=98990

Well the faithful may have a point here, if not a weak one as usual. Is the objection here that youngsters might be exposed to contradictory ideas? Then bring it on!

The sad fact is these ideas are promulgated largely because, at a young age, children are scared into believing whatever loony notions their parents happen to hold. This occurs, it is fair to say, in a high percentage of your typical household throughout the world and converts are a relatively small percentage of the remainder.

We need better ways to teach our kids, give them critical thinking skills that dust away these ridulous historical and scientific claims while at the same time making them better future citizens. As it is, if you get them believing in invisible all-powerful sky monsters, it is no wonder so many grow up gullible to policial, social and media-driven trash. It's just one of the many damanging after effects oh ye faithful generate in their efforts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You pretty much summed up my position on teaching my son that Santa exists. My wife disagrees, of course.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:09 PM

If those are real quotes then it was dumb for him to be so outspoken. I mean if your agenda is to turn kids against religion and you want them to read your books for that purpose, why would you announce it?

I thought the Golden Compass trilogy was great, I may have been a little old for it when I read it, but it was still pretty addictive. It's not atheist, but part of the plot (which becomes major in the last book, I think) is about a war against "The Authority" who is clearly modeled after the Abrahamic God. I loved this idea, because I've always felt that if that God existed he is unjust and evil.

If it causes any children to question the justness of their God I personally think that's a good thing, but I can understand their parents not wanting them to read it.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If those are real quotes then it was dumb for him to be so outspoken. I mean if your agenda is to turn kids against religion and you want them to read your books for that purpose, why would you announce it?

To clarify, the follow-up text is mine alone.
I thought the Golden Compass trilogy was great, I may have been a little old for it when I read it, but it was still pretty addictive. It's not atheist, but part of the plot (which becomes major in the last book, I think) is about a war against "The Authority" who is clearly modeled after the Abrahamic God. I loved this idea, because I've always felt that if that God existed he is unjust and evil.

If it causes any children to question the justness of their God I personally think that's a good thing, but I can understand their parents not wanting them to read it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-01-2007, 03:18 PM

Good books. Philosophical. And that's a bad thing, by religious standards.

I love how most atheists are fine with their kids being exposed to Christianity, and have no trouble with the Chronicles of Narnia, but most Christian parents are terrified of their children coming into contact with atheism, and now they're attacking HDM.

I say give them equal exposure, teach them how to think, and let them make their own decisions. I can't see how that isn't fair. But "equal exposure" is horrifying to many religious parents - even the slightest exposure to atheist ideas must be avoided. I think on some level they know atheism is just more compelling, so a level playing field favors it.

Of course, it's really just that atheism is super-tempting because of all the hedonistic orgy-festing!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I love how most atheists are fine with their kids being exposed to Christianity, and have no trouble with the Chronicles of Narnia, but most Christian parents are terrified of their children coming into contact with atheism, and now they're attacking HDM.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you sure that the former statement is true?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:32 PM

OMneG another atheism as defined by the pope thread.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of any atheist families I know that prevented Narnia or even any that turn the sound down during the swearing in ceremonies or ...
About all they don't do is sent their kids to sunday school or the like, don't prevent any other normal exposure. Heck, some let them join the boy scouts which seems wrong to me.
Perhaps some go farther but that defeats the purpose ... arriving a positions from rational examination, not by never having heard of them. Iow, the idea isn't to raise kids that 'believe in non-belief in X" but kids that think.

luckyme
Old 12-01-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM

Excellent article on this "controversy" by Laura Miller in the L.A. Times today: link

Sounds like a damn fine book, I'll probably get a copy for my younger brothers for Christmas.