Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: Over/Under 18.5 Democratic pickups on Nov.7th?
Under 2 16.67%
Over 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: *** Official NY Mets Our OFFSEASON Has Come Thread ***

[ QUOTE ]
According to Metsblog, Jason Stark (fwiw) says the following:

“The Mets have been looking for a defensive-minded catcher who could lead a staff, and Brian Schneider does that as well as anyone. And Ryan Church is a better player than you’re giving him credit for. He’s better than a fourth outfielder, even though he might be more a 5-day-a-week kind of player than a 7-day -a-week kind of player. And Milledge, frankly, turned out to be overrated. HIs value had plummeted. For a team trying to win in the short term, like the Mets, I totally understand this trade, Now let’s sit back and see how good Milledge turns out to be.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Milledge overrated? The only people who overrated Milledge were the Mets bloggers who were trying to hype him as the best prospect in the game. You know, the same people who think Fernando Martinez and Chris Gomes are in the top 10 right now. Milledge was a top 20 prospect, has performed well in his short tenure in New York, and if he were on this year's prospect list would rank in the top 10 as a CF.

One thing I agree on; Milledge's value has plummeted. Unfortuantly for Mets fans, it's percieved to be well below what it really is. That's not exactly the perfect time to trade him to me.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 PM

This deal is good for both teams...the Nationals and my fantasy baseball team!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:56 PM

Omar really came off poorly in that interview.

fwiw, a friend of mine runs Blastings! Thrilledge - a solid Mets' blog. He's a little broken up today.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:57 PM

There are a number of young OFs (thinking of LA and T.B.)on the trade market, so everyone thinking Milledge would draw an all-star is not being realistic. Two years ago no one wanted to trade him because his perceived value was high, and now everyone wanted to flip him for a stud pitcher. Well guess what, his trade value (evidenced by this trade) has gone down. Church is solid (somewhat popular in D.C. actually). Scheider signed an inflated contract a couple years ago (4 for $24M if I recall correctly) but is a solid catcher.

If I was a Mets fan, I would be still be disappointed with the trade. However, I think it is actually a disappointment that that Milledge's value was not higher. This causes regret that Omar did not sell high 1 year ago.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a number of young OFs (thinking of LA and T.B.)on the trade market, so everyone thinking Milledge would draw an all-star is not being realistic. Two years ago no one wanted to trade him because his perceived value was high, and now everyone wanted to flip him for a stud pitcher. Well guess what, his trade value (evidenced by this trade) has gone down. Church is solid (somewhat popular in D.C. actually). Scheider signed an inflated contract a couple years ago (4 for $24M if I recall correctly) but is a solid catcher.

If I was a Mets fan, I would be still be disappointed with the trade. However, I think it is actually a disappointment that that Milledge's value was not higher. This causes regret that Omar did not sell high 1 year ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately your post highlights the circularity of the concept of value and presumes that Omar has the same concepts of value as people in this thread. We can't know what Minaya could've gotten for Milledge, but it seems awfully clear that if this was the best he could've gotten, he should hold on to him.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:06 PM

jeez, i didn't even notice schnedier had a 4/24 until abreu brought it up, perfect, icing on the cake, we get scrued in talent and in salary...

i guess a lot of us are disappointed because milledge was so highly touted just a couple of years ago...i don't really fault minaya for holding onto him and rolling the dice, but yea, like triumph said, holding onto milledge would have been better than this...

regardless, we traded him for help in the wrong area and we got scrued...is minaya serious that he could not find even an average RP for this guy and decided to take this garbage offer instead??
Old 11-30-2007, 06:10 PM

lmfao @ you thinking an average RP is > than church.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its the fact that Milledge might have been better used if packaged instead for pitching help(most likely starting than relief).

Edit: or what triumph said.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think he was comparing an average RP to church, but rather to schneider.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:18 PM

i get that trades are not fair, but this wasn't the primary area of concern for the mets...who cares if church/schneider is better than an average RP, we didn't collapse because of the offense, so y should that be the area we focus on...

[censored] BAP, this isn't a draft, we need to focus on areas which can help us and we have huge, gaping, enormous holes in our pitching throughout...

u can buy hitting, it's way harder to buy pitching, either way, trade for needs, not 'luxuries'