Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-29-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

He used to play a lot of sports with me. We had a lot of good father son basketball and raquetball games, and even play fighting/wrestling when I was much younger.

Ray
Old 11-29-2007, 03:35 PM

I am pretty sure tuq intentionally made a list of Assani-like levelaments just for pure entertainment purposes.

Entertainment delivered.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:39 PM

No really funny stories, but my dad's lived a pretty cool life as a professional jazz musician for over 45 years. If someone's a pretty big name i nthe jazz business, there's a pretty good chance my old man's played with him at some point. He released two albums last year, and has been a Grammy voter forever, stuff like that.

He also had a Cubs minor league tryout in the 50s, but as a good hit no field shortstop...that didn't quite cut it, heh.

He'd also take us out of school to go to Orioles spring training in Miami, back in the 70s. Fun times.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:42 PM

When my older sister was an infant, my aunt got a divorce from her scumbag husband ("John") who had been hitting her. When John continued to harass my aunt, my father told him in no uncertain terms to cut it out.

John was a heavy drinker, and was heard drunkenly threatening the life of my older sister in the town bar that night. ("the_scalp's dad won't be feeling so high-and-mighty when something happens to that new girl of his in the middle of the night.")

Word of this got back to my father the next day, so at chore time, he made his way to John's farm, walked into his milk barn, and said "John, I'm gonna need to take your gun for a few months until you've cooled down so you don't do something you regret. John, being sober and probably intimidated (my father is a big, tough man) walked with my father to the house and gave him his shotgun.

When there were so many ways that the conflict could have been escalated, I am so proud my father took the path that left John some dignity, avoided fighting (or worse), and protected his family entirely.

A few months later at the start of deer season John called my father and asked "can I please have my gun back now?". He got it back . . .

/he's a Viet Nam vet who NEVER talks about what he went through there.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 PM

My father is 51 and has bet me $1000 that in 8 years when I am 30 he will be able to beat me in a running race where he gets to choose the distance.

One of his goals is to be able to snowboard with his grandkids when they learn to ski. We normally ski now, but we have snowboarded like 7 or 8 days.

My Dad has never hit me and although I am 6'5" 240, I he can be so intense that I would never want to fight him (he is 6'1" 180.

When my Dad has come by himself to see one of my football games he would come to our room and sit and watch football and have a beer with me and my roomates even when we were all underage.

Also worked his way through the Universtiy of Texas, was treasurer of his Fraternity and majored in possible the hardest major at the entire school (Chemical Engineering).

I am sure there are a ton more.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 PM

He was a high school basketball star and through his late 40s would still play pickup games with guys half his age and 5 inches taller than him (he's 5'8") and routinely whip them.

He's also great at mildly inappropriate off-color comments. When I was in college, he was driving me and three of my buddies to JFK Airport. When we pulled onto Flashbush Ave. in Brooklyn he says (loudly) "Flatbush, huh? She must have been wearing some tight pantyhose!"
Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 PM

My dad is one of the few guys I've ever known who can make permed curly hair actually look good. He is nearly 50 but gets hit on/flirted with by women my age (26). Mom just rolls her eyes.

He's coached HS varsity basketball for almost 15 years and is one of the best basketball minds I've known.

I'm by no means mechanically sound so whenever something goes wrong in my house, he not only gives me advice on how to fix it, but will always come over and personally inspect the problem and often help me repair it that day.

When my wife and I were preparing for our wedding two years ago, we were tossing around ideas for the groom's dinner with my parents. We had several talks about fancy restaurants in the area and such. My dad comes up with the idea of having it at my parent's house.

He had the idea and basically planned out having all he and my mom's friends serve as bartenders, cooks, wait staff, etc. in addition to decorating their yard (they have an 8 foot high fence surronding their back yard) for it.

I think the total cost ended up being as much as if we would have treated everyone to a fancy restaurant dinner because we ended up inviting more people. He just thought the idea of having it at the house I grew up in was really cool, to which I concur. Our entire groom's dinner, wedding and honeymoon rocked.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 PM

-1st chair violin in LA Philharmonic at age 15

-Hand impaled by brother age 16 ending short violinist career

-joined US Air Force

-later became successful business owner

-took me on road trips all over US as kid

- [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] too bad he's dead now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

edit: he'd surely kick my ass knowing I waste time posting here...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:06 PM

Because he divorced my mom and left the state when I was 3 and my sisters were 7 and 9.

And because we saw him like 3 times since then.

He rules.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
divorces are damn expensive, ldo.

kidding, but that's usually a top reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom made 40K a year when she divorced my dad, so I've never quite understood this. When there's a will there's a way.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, she bit the bullet huh? Even though she now has to pay your dad alimony and child support out of a 40k income? What a brave woman.