Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 PM

Default villian min bets, what does that signal?

A min bet of say 40 into a 460 chip pot is so annoying and most of the time online it means weakness. I generally call the min bet on the flop with just about anything and then raise on the turn. occassionaly though villian will min bet the turn into a 600 chip pot, I make it 400 to play and he still calls. I mean, if you betting 40, what makes you think ur hand is good enough to call another 560? does anyone min bet into fairly decent size pots and if so, what does it accomplish?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: villian min bets, what does that signal?

Pretend he didnt do it and bet accordingly. They fold almost every time i've noticed. Once the blinds get huge it gets tougher though.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 PM

i guess min bets aggrevate me. Im just trying to think if any skilled players use such a betting tactic because generally speaking the min betting is done by less skilled players online. Unless there are skilled players here that could tell me their reasons for min betting a flop.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM

I raise these annoying little [censored] everytime they do this [censored]! Big raises too! They almost always fold. Only if I think they're a good player or there's a bunch of other people in the hand do I fold.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 PM

I never open min-bet, but I will min re-raise people, post-flop. I usually only do this as a bluff to people I think are good players on scary boards, because its so common to see min re-raises when [censored] players have the nuts. I find its a good way to bluff while risking very little chips. I don't do it very often, and only with a decent read. I notice it works best on players in the $10-$30 buy-in range.

Open min-betting though.. I don't see how that could ever be profitable. When people do that against me I usually just ignore and play the hand normally.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 AM

I've seen a minbettor who got raised, then reraised all in with top set. The move can be a trap I suppose but I have only seen this move a handful of times. I would just take note of the player who does that and beware for next time. But for the most part, I see it as the person is weak and a bad player. It's easier to pick out a bad hand by a minbet than it is with a check in those big pots with small blinds.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 AM

The min bet on the flop usually means you are against a weak/inexperienced player. What it means for each player is usually read based.

For most players, it's middle or bottom pair or a flush/straight draw of some kind. If you have a hand that you would have bet, bet anyway like normal. If it's one of the early levels (and it usually is) I usually call with any kind of draw, including runner runner flush draws and gutshot straight draws, or any pair.

Sometimes it's a strong hand. Yesterday I saw a player min raise preflop, bet min on a J high board, then call an all in with QQ. But that's rare.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The min bet on the flop usually means you are against a weak/inexperienced player. What it means for each player is usually read based.

[/ QUOTE ]

I minbet at times to look inexperienced. Think about THAT. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

The short, unhelpful answer is it means different things from different villains. Make a note when it's done and go from there. Typically I do the same as many mentioned here, raise.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 PM

I _occasionally_ use a minbet as a fake blocking bet, so TAGs think "This guy is new to the table, obv he's a fish, I'm gonna raise his bitch ass" and I win chips.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:36 PM

was it Barry L. that made the minibet?