Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-28-2007, 11:21 PM

Default 2.7 million with AQ

I can't play it either. THis is the 11 (1 rebuy 1 addon)

Villain is very aggressive when the antes come in, i have him running about 20.2/18.6 for 9 handed. He has also been very active in the last 5 minutes at the table. I had a sick feeling once he raised it, but folding vs. this opponent seems too weak.

Poker Stars, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 400/800 Blinds, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (MP1): 20,142
MP2: 13,056
CO: 18,433
BTN: 15,567
SB: 10,885
BB: 53,693
UTG: 20,340
UTG+1: 20,551
UTG+2: 17,278

Pre-Flop: (1,875) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP1)
UTG folds, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to 2,175</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to ?

Plan for the rest of the hand, depending on your decision too.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: 2.7 million with AQ

I think that any re-raise is going to almost commit yourself on the flop if you are going to try to out-play the aggressor post flop. Your going to want to raise to at leasttttt 6k to try to get him off the hand. If he calls, then you are playing all in poker post flop. It all depends on what you want to do with your chips but that is my opinion on the situation. I think you can push this raise and lol at him because he is not raising with better than AQ.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 PM

Don't know why you can't call here and play poker. Your stack is very akward for a rr,you will pretty much be committed to the hand if you do. I'm not saying you should never raise here,if villain is as aggro as you say,you are ahead of his range,but I really see nothing wrong with calling here
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 PM

How often has villain been raising in EP. If he's only been opening in in MP and LP then I think fold is best.

If you think he has a wide opening range in EP I think I like call best. Reraising to around 7k makes it very difficult to get away from the hand. If we call now we can get value from an aggressive player when we have favorable flops and take away pots with our position on raggy flops. However, if the rest of the table is loose or aggressive and there is a good chance we are getting flat called behind or squeezed, folding preflop is most likely best.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 PM

I haven't seen him raise EP too often since he has been at the table. However, he has raised around 2 times an orbit since we hit the 400/800 level. My general expression is that he is more "good" aggressive than a "spewy" aggressive.

Is it correct to assume that raise/folding is out of the question.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 AM

raise folding is out of the question. If he is good aggressive you can open fold this hand to and wait to trap later on
Old 11-29-2007, 12:11 AM

The 2175 bet is interesting. 2 5/8 BB bet is screaming "I want to play this hand, not have everyone fold, but just enough to get 1 or 2 players to stick around." I see this sort of raise over and over again in SNG final tables (but usually only 2BB).

I think you're usually behind here, and a raise is just going to get a call. You should call to see a flop, bet it (I'm 90% sure you're getting checked to), and then when he calls your bet, fold to his stop-and-go or check behind and fold on the river unless you hit two pair or better.

I hate to put him on such a narrow range but I'm thinking QQ+. I'd almost fold pre-flop because my line is going to be passive anyway.

Folding strong hands pre-flop in these situation is the difference between winning and losing IMHO.