Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: family issue, and personal philosophy

[ QUOTE ]
quote: It's good that ancient works are preserved through translation, but to lean too heavily on the knowledge that is centuries or millennia old to give a logical explanation of why things are the way they are?

Something being old doesn't negate it. If anything it underpins things. God is eternal so his texts should be old. Just because the truths in the book seem "old fashioned" is deceiving. They are tried and true and there's a lot of insight into the character of man.

[/ QUOTE ]

No more than a cursory reading of Plato, Homer, or Aeschylus would give you similar insights.

Just because something claims to be the word of God and it's ancient does not mean it is a legitimate proof of his existence. If faith helps you sleep at night and gives you meaning during the day, well, that's fine.

Pointing to such things as an attempt to convince atheists that they should take the Bible literally isn't going to get you far and you'll get frustrated with the effort.

Simply because asking rational, logical individuals to suspend credulity and defy logic isn't going to happen. Hopefully that's clear.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think the problem is your NEED to find a religious belief as the only thing which will give your life meaning, but it's people like you why religion is a $$billion a year global business! I don't think it hurts to believe in whatever makes you happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you weren’t wearing any type of ball team clothing when you typed this. (I don’t put you on that really, but you get my point.)
Old 11-28-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your problem Kurto? I made my original post for Ben in answer to his post not for you to argue over. Its not an argument. Its a fact. Its Psalm 118:8 in all bible versions.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. I'm merely pointing out some glaring issues with some of your postings.

note- if you were only posting to Ben then you shouldn't post on a public forum set up for people to discuss things. You could have sent him a private message.

by the way, its NOT a fact that Psalm 118:8 is the middle of the Bible in every version. The link YOU posted from snopes.com showed that it varied.

So, don't you think it looks a little silly for you to claim it a fact when you posted a link that showed otherwise?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not arguing every contrary opinion you have. Start a post if you want input from the forum on every aspect of the bible, but I doubt I'll be answering it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not looking for input on every aspect of the Bible. Clearly I'm not. Don't be upset with me because I and others on the forum take the time to look at things critically and challenge some of the clearly fallacious things you post. You CONTRADICT YOURSELF IN YOUR OWN POSTS and you ask what is my problem? lol

I apologize if it upsets you that people question weak material you post in a forum where people gather to discuss such matters.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My personal philosophy, is above all, to come to peace, end suffering, fade away, etc, in enlightenment.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing notably missing from your post is the question of truth. Even if something (Buddhism, i.e.) makes you feel better aren't you at all interested in whether or not it's true?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My personal philosophy, is above all, to come to peace, end suffering, fade away, etc, in enlightenment.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing notably missing from your post is the question of truth. Even if something (Buddhism, i.e.) makes you feel better aren't you at all interested in whether or not it's true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, god forbid OP have the humility not to claim certainty for the truth of some subjective metaphysical idealism.

Because if there's anything this poor world needs, it's more dogmatists.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 AM

Cut your father a break. Imagine really thinking your might go to hell. He's worried about you. Nothing wrong with that.

If he's paying for your tuition and providing for you, then go by his rules and be respectful. When you start paying your own way, and/or get out on your own, you should have a talk with him as an adult. Just as you should respect him, he needs to respect you. You're 18. That's a man. You're not a kid anymore. If you don't want to partake in his religion, you certainly don't have to.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote: "But even if you aren't, you toss out claims because you think they may possibly be relevant, and you don't do your research to find out whether they actually are - leaving us to do the homework and discover that there's nothing to them"

Actually posting the snopes link was done in an attempt to be intellectually honest. I knew there was some digression at the bottom but these areas we talk about are not black/white areas there are lots of grey areas and ambiguities. This is the real world not a "white castle" theory world where everything has to fit nicely into its peghole.

The reason why I discuss anything at all in SMP is actually more from accident instead of some grandiose agenda you credit me with. This is not my usual forum I happened to be passing through and came across a Lestat OP and everyone seemed clueless.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:32 PM

Splendour
[ QUOTE ]
"...and everyone seemed clueless. "

[/ QUOTE ]

The gig is up. We are leveled.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 PM

quote: note- if you were only posting to Ben then you shouldn't post on a public forum set up for people to discuss things. You could have sent him a private message.

I rarely pm anyone. Many people are paranoid about pms, but certain people seemed to get ripped no matter what they do. It should have been obvious to anyone reading my post that it was something for the OP to keep in his hip pocket so to speak for times of trouble. A good example is Senator John McCain. He was in a prisoner of war camp for several years, but had the courage to say "first man in first man out". The North Vietnamese offered to let him go once they realized he was the Pacific Fleet Commander's son but he opted to stay and leave according to his turn based on his arrival. I'm sure having a little faith in God got him over that hump. Someone may not believe right now, but you never know when something will come in handy or you may have to re-evaluate all of life's little priorities.