Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: I Met a Backwards Man

[ QUOTE ]

No. Put the clock on the floor and she still turns EITHER way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, I just don't see it. I guess my point of view was that the confusion came from the clock orientation, not from the actual spin... maybe I'll stare at it some more and see if I can't get her to turn the other way.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: I Met a Backwards Man

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No. Put the clock on the floor and she still turns EITHER way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, I just don't see it. I guess my point of view was that the confusion came from the clock orientation, not from the actual spin... maybe I'll stare at it some more and see if I can't get her to turn the other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

A trick that worked for me is to look only at her foot, and actually to focus right below her foot. Then try and concentrate on when her foot reaches its maximum "lateral" rotation and see if you can make it reverse course right at that point and come back. So, if her foot is pointing "towards you" and going from your right to your left, when it reaches the leftmost point, try to see if you cant visualize it going back to your right BUT STILL POINTING AT YOU.

Its tricky at first but I'm sure you will get it. The best part of this illusion is how absolutely sure you are that it is going one way and one way only, and then you figure it out and you STILL have a hard time believing it goes both ways. I mean, it is just SO OBVIOUS that it goes (counter)clockwise!