Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: $5 - AKs UTG - Bubble

if you raise to 2.5bb all the players will have good odds(1-1.8, enough to play everyhand). But if you raise to 4bb they'll get like 1.5-1 and that's what we're trying to accomplish. I think some of the hands makes us ignore the basic concepts. Though if you're super post-flop player who doesn't care about giving good odds and playing OOP, then raise 2.5bb with AKs like you do with every other hand. 2.5bb raise at late stages when everyplayer has short stack because of structure of tournaments is smart. But i'm not raising with AKs UTG 2.5bb. Maybe i'm shouting like "look big stacks, i have a big hand and if you wanna butt heads, come" but that has to be. I don't want a LAG to play with me on bad flop.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM

OP - i admit the "tone" of my post was intended to rile you up a bit, but only bc it seemed you really really wanted to find a post here telling you that "you have a healthy stack, you could be flipping, you can find a better spot, drawing hand, etc." this is complete garbage. FWIW i think you played the hand very well and everybody else here agrees.

i mean, i am folding here like never unless i know he has AA/KK (or if it is the actual money bubble and stacks are weird, etc) and while it is "possible" to get that read on someone it is highly unlikely at a lower stakes MTT where the player pools are so large and it is difficult to have much relevant history w/ one particular player.

i know you raised UTG and your range should be v. tight, and the 3-bettor should know this and only re-pop you w/ a super-premium pair. and i wasn't at the table, so you obv know his range better than i do. if you have a read, you should DEF go with it.

w/e, play was standard, nh. do it again. and again. and again. and next time when you win this hand and end up at the Final Table w/ a huge chipstack (after punishing the FT Bubble) you will crush.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand is standard.

I don't understand the thought behind the advice, given by some posters to raise more preflop UTG, specially not when blinds are already high and we have about 20BB. Specially in EP i think it's better to raise less, as it really makes no difference for the following players if you raise 2,5 or 4BB - if they want to play a hand they will do it - but you have more flexibility with a smaller raise-size.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why are we raising to 2.5bb? Let's limp. If they want to play they'll call anyway. Actually the real question that came to my mind after that post is "why are we raising?". I think one of the most important thing about raising big is charging the people who'll have position on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not raising pf here is horrible.

As far as raising more to charge the people with position on you that falls under incorrect as well. This is due to the fact that the more you raise the smaller the range of hands that call. I would expect most everyone here wants to be called by a worse hand, no?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP - i admit the "tone" of my post was intended to rile you up a bit, but only bc it seemed you really really wanted to find a post here telling you that "you have a healthy stack, you could be flipping, you can find a better spot, drawing hand, etc." this is complete garbage. FWIW i think you played the hand very well and everybody else here agrees.

i mean, i am folding here like never unless i know he has AA/KK (or if it is the actual money bubble and stacks are weird, etc) and while it is "possible" to get that read on someone it is highly unlikely at a lower stakes MTT where the player pools are so large and it is difficult to have much relevant history w/ one particular player.

i know you raised UTG and your range should be v. tight, and the 3-bettor should know this and only re-pop you w/ a super-premium pair. and i wasn't at the table, so you obv know his range better than i do. if you have a read, you should DEF go with it.

w/e, play was standard, nh. do it again. and again. and again. and next time when you win this hand and end up at the Final Table w/ a huge chipstack (after punishing the FT Bubble) you will crush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks zooot,
You're kinda right. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
I was 90% sure it was my survival instinct that had me conflicted..
But I aspire to be 100% sure and remove the immature player in me.

I've been getting deep in most of the tourneys I'm playing and I'm trying to find any leak I can.

My brain put him on JJ+ or AK at worst, and my gut was screaming AA/KK.
Turned up QQ.

p.s. just busted in a textbook flip in the $5 5k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]