Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Foxwoods Q (well another anyway).What game to play now a days (lim/NL)

Yea I think it's been asked but I don't recall the thread. someone can link it if they find it I sure as heck can't lol.

A little background been playing live for 5-6 years . Mostly started as a limit player playing Niagara Falls NY some AC and Woods. As the limit games dried up there I mostly played NL (all that we had) 5/10NL was the biggest game running on the weekends.

When I would go to AC and FW I would always revert back to my Limit roots and still do pretty well since at the bigger places Lim. was still a popular game and juicy juicy juicy.

Anyway last time i was at the woods I played 5/10 NL there and it was like clubbing baby seals but I still have people telling me that the 20/40 limit game there is where its at.

So my Q for the 20/40 limit regulars and the 5/10NL regulars . Which game is better? I will be there this weekend and I really cant decide what i should play :/
Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods Q (well another anyway).What game to play now a days (lim

Tough question. Not too many 5/10 players venture into 10/20 - so I'm not sure how many people will be able to advise you as to the current state of both games (5/10 and 20/40)...

I play 10/20 LHE so I am useless to you. I hear the 20/40 swings wild variance wise but may axtually be easier than the 10/20 - if you can handle a lot of pre-flop aggression.

The 10/20 can be extremely passive pre-flop at times. The 5/10 players we get who are trying to move up are truly awful. They generally donate $1,000 and I never see them again. And note the 5/10 plays with a Kill.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:38 AM

cool thanks man for the advice but I guess I should note I mean 5/10 NL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 01:59 PM

Oooooops...

Sorry to waste your time.

Good luck. This conversation will be over my head.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM

haha never a waste man [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 04:46 PM

Haven't really noticed anyone play both the games you mentioned, so good advice is unlikely. Your best bet is just start one and if you don't feel good switch to the other. Due to random factors, short time, and small sample size of any opinion here, any anecdotal advice will be good as anything I could just make up. You should take charge of your destiny and just play what you get a better feel for instead of trying to outsource.

I would have to say that if the analogy of choice is "clubbing baby seals" though, then the 5/10 is the place to be. Hard to imagine a game having a better risk/reward than that.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 PM

I used to play 20/40 limit and after an extended losing streak moved to NL. I understand the 20/40 game is excellent. I still visit with friends at the 20/40 tables and I always see someone with 5 or 6 racks of red.

The 5/10 NL has become a much tougher game since the buy-in limits have changed. Some very good 10/25 players dropped back down and they are TOUGH. It is a fun and challenging game and if you run well can book some sick wins. As noted earlier the swings in this game can be big.

If I were you I'd play the 20/40.

Good Luck and have fun.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to play 20/40 limit and after an extended losing streak moved to NL. I understand the 20/40 game is excellent. I still visit with friends at the 20/40 tables and I always see someone with 5 or 6 racks of red.

The 5/10 NL has become a much tougher game since the buy-in limits have changed. Some very good 10/25 players dropped back down and they are TOUGH. It is a fun and challenging game and if you run well can book some sick wins. As noted earlier the swings in this game can be big.

If I were you I'd play the 20/40.

Good Luck and have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I only played it once and seems it can ride pretty well
This is exactly the kind of answer I am looking for.

For note though I feel my skill at NL is slightly ahead of limit as it's what I've played more over the long haul at this point.

Whats the buy in limit 500-2k? I think thats what it was last time I was there
Old 10-04-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough question. Not too many 5/10 players venture into 10/20 - so I'm not sure how many people will be able to advise you as to the current state of both games (5/10 and 20/40)...

I play 10/20 LHE so I am useless to you. I hear the 20/40 swings wild variance wise but may axtually be easier than the 10/20 - if you can handle a lot of pre-flop aggression.

The 10/20 can be extremely passive pre-flop at times. The 5/10 players we get who are trying to move up are truly awful. They generally donate $1,000 and I never see them again. And note the 5/10 plays with a Kill.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should hear what we say about the 10/20 nits who try to play tight in our kill game.